Skip to main content

pc keeps restarting itself

More
20 years 3 months ago #2271 by chandak76
Hi,I seem to to be getting problems everyday.I've got a pc running windows 98es.The problem is that after it runs for anbout 10 ins,it restarts it self and it keeps on restarting,until ypu switch it off for a while,but then does the same thing.Please help.
:oops:
More
20 years 3 months ago #2273 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: pc keeps restarting itself
Have you run an Anti Virus program on it?

Sounds like that may be the problem. How long have you had the problem? Has the system worked fine for awhile, then start to show this behavior?

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 3 months ago #2280 by sahirh
The multiple reboots sounds suspiciously like one of the blaster or similar variants. Basically anything that exploits the bugs in the RPC DCOM service tends to cause the system to continuously reboot, especially when trying to connect to the net. Do you see any error messages before the shutdown.

Or maybe you have a power fluctuation problem (hey you never know :))

Coupling this with the errors you said you were getting in your other post, I would say it sounds like your PC might do well with a reinstall. Once you've done that then please don't forget to apply the oodles of patches that will need to be updated.. or stuff like this will just start happening again.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 3 months ago #2282 by chandak76
Hi,Tried every thing but problem still persists.Scan for viruses and tried to replace the power supply but the problem still exists.
More
20 years 3 months ago #2290 by Chris
The fact you pc runs for 10 minutes before it starts its reboot cycles, sounds like a overheating problem to me.

Does the pc do the same when your not connected to the Internet? If you simply switch it on and let it run, will it reboot again?

If not, then it could be a virus/trojan problem that activates itself once your connected. If it does the same, then I'll look into the hardware.

Check your CPU fan, chipset and video card for problems. I'll also suggest you download a copy of the hardware testing program available in our download section.... leave it running until it comes up with a problem.

Once you get your results, post them back here so we can check them.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 3 months ago #2293 by sahirh
After you perform the hardware tests, if you can't isolate the problem there, maybe you can post screenshots of running processes as well as what runs at startup (go to www.sysinternals.com they have a little utility called autostart which handles this nicely).

Perhaps someone here will notice something out of the ordinary.

Btw, could it be a faulty motherboard ? I have a friend who experienced multiple reboots, we couldn't isolate the problem but it disappeared after he changed his motherboard.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds