Skip to main content

beeps

More
16 years 10 months ago #21434 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: beeps

its like 1 beep then fast continous beeps and 1 long beep.

Curious, make sure that none of the keys are stuck pressed. It happens some times on heavily used keyboards, you'd have a sticky key that does'nt go up after its pressed down. Make sure that this is not the case.

Yup, my thoughts aswell, sounds more like a hardware issue.

By the way you really shouldn't setup password logins in case of things like this if its a personal pc.

Interesting statement, not sure i agree with that one. Suppose it depends if the machine is shared within the household or you want to try and stop your kids from using the computer. Also, its not that often that you find these issues with keyboards unless its a stuck key which is a physical problem. Most of the time, you will require a PS2 keyboard plugged in during boot since the BIOS needs to detect it, not sure on USB keyboards though, i am guessing you are probably right with that since it will detect the USB when its plugged in.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 10 months ago #21435 by oscar1092
Replied by oscar1092 on topic Re: beeps
Thanks for your help. Ive checked the keyboard. there isnt a stuck key. Is it possible i buy a ps2 to usb adapter will it work? cuz i have a ps2 keyboard. its a bit old.
More
16 years 10 months ago #21519 by durk21
Replied by durk21 on topic Re: beeps

nteresting statement, not sure i agree with that one. Suppose it depends if the machine is shared within the household or you want to try and stop your kids from using the computer. Also, its not that often that you find these issues with keyboards unless its a stuck key which is a physical problem. Most of the time, you will require a PS2 keyboard plugged in during boot since the BIOS needs to detect it, not sure on USB keyboards though, i am guessing you are probably right with that since it will detect the USB when its plugged in.

juse as i said if its a public pc passwords are good but if its single user it not really an issue unless your portable or others have access to it homes don't really need it
More
16 years 10 months ago #21520 by durk21
Replied by durk21 on topic Re: beeps
try just using your ps2 keyboard and seeing if it boots first if that fixes it then that will answer our question if its a usb issue

Thanks for your help. Ive checked the keyboard. there isnt a stuck key. Is it possible i buy a ps2 to usb adapter will it work? cuz i have a ps2 keyboard. its a bit old.

and yes a ps/2 to usb adapter will work but try the old keyboard first if it boots perfectly then its the usb keyboard that is having an issue with i guess detection since you said the key isnt stuck in i know mine has a detection problem sometimes and the exact same thing happens.
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds