Skip to main content

Networking basics for sure

More
7 years 7 months ago #38714 by padreking
Been doing this for years and frustration never ceases.

RJ45 crimp on connectors has a color code. And the color code of RJ45 sockets color code never match the pins on RJ45 so why? Shouldn't if it's an industry standard, that the pins and the color code should match? So if I put an RJ45 on end A of the wire and several rooms away, when the wire B is terminated at the back of a socket that the same wire color should be to the same pins of said socket? I mean if I wire one up and put the wire tester on the RJ45 end and the responder at the socket end, should the cable say 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5, 6-6, 7-7, and 8-8? I've even tried to single strand it yellow/white to yellow and the pins never come out right? Doesn't sound too industry standard to me.

My solution is to Color match the wires to the sockets, and every wire gets a socket! The interconnecting UTP cables should make the network connections fine regardless of the type of device on the network.
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #38715 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Networking basics for sure
padreking,

I'd suggest you take a quick read at the following articles we have that will surely answer your question. They cover the UTP straight-through cables and cross-over:

www.firewall.cx/networking-topics/cablin...-cabling-utp-st.html
www.firewall.cx/networking-topics/cablin...bling-utp-xover.html

More technical articles on network cabling can be found here:
www.firewall.cx/networking-topics/cabling-utp-fibre.html

Let us know if you need any additional help.

Thanks,

Chris.

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Chris.
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds