Skip to main content

WAN Connectivity Quandry

More
14 years 5 months ago #32724 by katzebnt
Thank you everyone for the responses so far. I imagine when ordering connectivity from a telco I'll most likely be ordering up Ethernet connectivity and configuring VPNs over it. I know ATM and Frame-Relay circuits are still readily available here in the US but I think they're cost prohibitive compared to regular Ethernet connectivity. Thank you all again, hope to see some more great responses soon. :)
More
14 years 5 months ago #32726 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: WAN Connectivity Quandry
Probably no use of my vote to you since I'm in Kuwait. But just to mention that about 90% of the work here is done through ADSL.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 5 months ago #32728 by katzebnt

Probably no use of my vote to you since I'm in Kuwait. But just to mention that about 90% of the work here is done through ADSL.

I need opinions and votes, don't care where you are! :) The more diversified the responses are the better...
More
14 years 5 months ago #32732 by novembre

I imagine when ordering connectivity from a telco I'll most likely be ordering up Ethernet connectivity and configuring VPNs over it.

If it's MPLS based VPNs your Service Provider will take care of the VPN configuration for you. If it's a Layer 3 VPN you'll either configure static routes on your equipment or setup a routing protocol to talk with your Service Providers edge for each site. If you use Layer 2 VPNs you'll set up a IGP to talk directly to your other sites (or use static routing).

Of course, if you want to still use IPSec or whatever you'd need to do all that. Out of interest, you can't actually purchase a Frame Relay circuit in NZ from the main telco here anymore. You'd get a quote for a DSL / optical replacement. Same goes if you want to upgrade your bandwidth on a Frame circuit, you'd re-provisioned. You can still get ATM but it usually cheaper to go with ethernet.

[edit: changed IGP to routing-protocol for L3VPN because you can use BGP for the CE-PE connection]
More
14 years 5 months ago #32739 by katzebnt

I imagine when ordering connectivity from a telco I'll most likely be ordering up Ethernet connectivity and configuring VPNs over it.

If it's MPLS based VPNs your Service Provider will take care of the VPN configuration for you. If it's a Layer 3 VPN you'll either configure static routes on your equipment or setup a routing protocol to talk with your Service Providers edge for each site. If you use Layer 2 VPNs you'll set up a IGP to talk directly to your other sites (or use static routing).

Of course, if you want to still use IPSec or whatever you'd need to do all that. Out of interest, you can't actually purchase a Frame Relay circuit in NZ from the main telco here anymore. You'd get a quote for a DSL / optical replacement. Same goes if you want to upgrade your bandwidth on a Frame circuit, you'd re-provisioned. You can still get ATM but it usually cheaper to go with ethernet.

[edit: changed IGP to routing-protocol for L3VPN because you can use BGP for the CE-PE connection]

Thanks for the awesome response, nice to see this thread keep rolling. :D
More
14 years 5 months ago #32903 by Losh
Replied by Losh on topic Interesting!
I find it interesting to know the different technologies people use in different regions.
I'm in Kenya (East Africa), and like 80% of our population uses ADSL. The rest is a little bit of broadband and perhaps PPP. Frame relay, ATM is just for cisco exam purposes as far as i'm concerned. Good luck though!

~ Networking :- Just when u think its starting to make sense......... ~