Skip to main content

dhcp

More
20 years 2 months ago #2878 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: dhcp
Ten firewall.cx points to greenice for answering a question I was not sure how to answer.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 months ago #2882 by UHSsncmrm
Replied by UHSsncmrm on topic Re: dhcp
A secondary address is also good for when you bring another node up on your WAN. Say for instance you acquire another site, as businesses are want to do, this new site doesn't have the same addressing scheme that your others do. Rather than change all devices at new site to your addressing scheme, you can add your network as a secondary address and voila, you can now route their traffic over your network with minimum configuration and headache to their technical folk, thereby making the transition to your company smoother. IE no NATing, DNS changes, default gateway changes, minimal host file tweaking, all resulting in lower downtime and happier end-users.

You can always go back after the waters settle and coerce them into a complete re-addressing plan after you've built relationships.

This rarely ever happens. Who has that kinda time?

A scapegoat is often as welcome as a solution...never memorize what you can look up.
More
20 years 2 months ago #2893 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: dhcp
Ok ok.. ten points to you as well ;)

One day I'll tell my grandchildren,
"I was a moderator.. and they called me the most benevolent moderator in the 63.247.0.0/16 address range"

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 months ago #2992 by indebluez
Replied by indebluez on topic Re: dhcp
hi guys, thax alot for the replies,, really appreciate it...
i have cable access for my internet..and i tried to
disable the connection and enabled it later....shouldnt the ip address change?
coz when i click on the connections, status and then the tab support...i get the same ip addressand default gateway...
i thought to conserve the number of ip addresses...each time i disconnect n connect i should get a different ip add for my host....
help:)
More
20 years 2 months ago #2993 by Neon
Replied by Neon on topic Re: dhcp
The main reason why you probably get the same IP address is that the ISP has most likely given you a static number... however there are cases I have seen where there are dynamic allocations of numbers (i.e. dialup) where after a few redials to the ISP after being dc that I have been given the same IP address. I would assume that it would have to be something with address leases not expiring...

But as far as your question goes I think you must buy the IP address when you get your cable account. I suppose also it’s easier for them to manage their users, saying this user has this IP address so they know who to blame when they do naughty things rather than checking their logs for who had what/when *points finger @ lazy ISPs* :)
More
20 years 2 months ago #2997 by mew
Replied by mew on topic Re: dhcp
The static IP address is a good guess but you should be aware of the fact that:

DHCP – depending on the source has a default given lease period. With Cisco routers it is 24 hours. With other servers it can easily be as long as seven days. If you release your IP and immediately take another the odds are it will be the same IP.
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds