Skip to main content

dhcp

More
20 years 2 months ago #3001 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: dhcp
100% .. I regularly get the same IP when I get disconnected and dial up straight away.. in fact if you view the data of what IP's I have posted from, most of the time I've posted 5-6 times from a particular IP.. but there is one IP which I have posted from 124 times !! Can't figure why my box has an afinity to that one...

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 months ago #3036 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: dhcp
I am not using a Dynamic address now, but when I did it never changed on me, unless we needed to changed out the modem. I ran for a year with both of my IP addresses the same, even though they were both Dynamic.

When you talk to tech support, they will probably tell you that it will change every 4 hours (or something like that). Not usually the case.

When you are given an address, you are leasing that address for a fixed amount of time, as mew says. You get to keep that lease for that amount of time. After some time, before the lease expires, you get a chance to renew the lease (I think it is at the halfway point), if you are not there at the time (say your machine is shut down), I think the server will try again at half the next time and so on. For example, if you have the lease 10 days, the server will check to see if you want to renew to at 5 days. If you are not there it will try at 7.5 days (at this was what I was told).

There is a pretty good article on it at: www.tcpipguide.com/TCPIPGuide_1-0_s7.pdf

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 1 month ago #3060 by MaXiMuS
Replied by MaXiMuS on topic hi
hey indie,

How are you ??? havent been in touch for quite some time now... :wink: ...hmmm .. man i wish i could say that i have a static ip at my home. :cry: ( too expensive & unavailable at the moment) well u see , with a cable modem you are essentially always ON , its like u get a static ip ,exclusively meant for you and u dont need to go through the pains and horrors of dialing up each time u connect :wink: but ..but ... u do need to protect urself( i mean ur machine) otherwise you may end up giving the bad guys a lot of business :P
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds