Skip to main content

Subnetting

More
20 years 9 months ago #178 by netNewbie
Replied by netNewbie on topic Subnetting
by the way, if you want to say network, you need to add a mask with it.

192.168.1.1, 192.168.3.1, and 192.168.x.1 are not in different networks if the mask is 255.255.0.0 or 255.255.128.0, or 255.255.192.0, ...

But if you use the mask 255.255.255.0, which i assumed you meant, then yes they in different subnets.

(I'm avoiding refering to 192.168.0.0 as a network 'cause someone might jump in and say that is not a VALID network according to cisco [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]).
More
20 years 9 months ago #179 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Subnetting
Jackeen,

It's quite normal to get confused with subnetting. It took me a while when I first started, in order to understand and implementing subnetting correctly, so don't worry!

netNetbie's post is correct and defined well.

Your also thinking along the correct lines as far as your last post.

As you correctly stated, if you had one network with 250 pc, it would be necessary to 'break it up' - that is, to subnet it, in order to create smaller networks.

Breaking it up would mean that your default subnetmask for that Class C network (192.168.0.0) would change from 255.255.255.0 to something like 255.255.255.X where X's value would depend on how many networks you need to create from the original network.

In the case of extending the network with a further 250 pc's then you would definately seperate them aswell by subnetting that new network. The new range you gave - 192.168.1.1- 192.168.1.251 is valid to cover all those pc's.

The important detail you need to understand is that in practice, you never have a network (or subnet) with more than 50 pc's. Reason for this is because the broadcasts and other unnecessary traffic will flood the network and decrease the overall network performance and bandwidth availability.

This is why we always subnet networks, making life easier for ourselves.

I hope things are now clear to you!

I would highly recommend you consider reading the subnetting section once more - to help cover any weak spots you might have on the topic.

We are planning to introduce real life scenarios for the subnetting section as its one of the most popular topics on the site. It's just going to take a while to implement as we are stuck on rewritting the TCP section.

Meanwhile our kind members are helping everyone out by answering to questions and problems - and sometimes this can be more effective than simply reading a related topic.

There is so much to do - and yet so little time !

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 9 months ago #180 by jackeen
Replied by jackeen on topic Subnetting
Thanks Chris and netnewbie for all those replies,

i feel i am getting somewhere now.

if anyone knows of any websites that have good practice exams for the network + it would be greatly appreciated.
More
20 years 9 months ago #181 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Subnetting
Jackeen,
www.simulationexams.com/comptia.htm

and
www.certify.com

I used certify.com along with the Exam Cram 2 series for the Network+ exam and they worked fine [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

When do you plan on sitting for it ?

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 9 months ago #182 by jackeen
Replied by jackeen on topic Subnetting
I'm due to sit it on the 24th of this month

thanks for the reply again
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds