Skip to main content

Subnetting

More
20 years 9 months ago #172 by jackeen
Subnetting was created by jackeen
Question,is there a differance between subnetting and just changing the network id
of an ip address

eg 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.1.1
More
20 years 9 months ago #173 by netNewbie
Replied by netNewbie on topic Subnetting
An IP address is just one of many available addresses in a subnet.
It depends on the mask, and so depends on the subnet you're in. If you just randomly change your IP address to a subnet, say from first subnet to second subnet, then you don't have special privileges to first subnet as you did when you were in it.
More
20 years 9 months ago #174 by jackeen
Replied by jackeen on topic Subnetting
Thanks for the reply,

but it wasn'y really what i was looking for!
More
20 years 9 months ago #175 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Subnetting
Jackeen,

Are you asking is subnetting is the same as changing a network id?

Changing the network ID does not mean that your 'subnetting', it simply means your 'moving' to a different network or subnet.

At no instance does 'changing net id' = 'subnetting'.

Subnetting is the process of spliting one network ID into smaller networks- thus creating more network id's.

Hope that helped, if not, let us know.

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 9 months ago #176 by jackeen
Replied by jackeen on topic Subnetting
Thanks for the reply Chris,

i think i am slowly confusing myself,

so if i had one network with 250 pcs

e.g 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.251 i would be better to subnet this nework thus creating smaller ones and dividing it up,

but if my newtork grew by another 250 pcs

i would have to put it on a new netwok,

hence 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.251

let me know if i'm on the right line,

[ 08 July 2003: Message edited by: jackeen ]
More
20 years 9 months ago #177 by netNewbie
Replied by netNewbie on topic Subnetting
Now I see what you meant.

Well in that case, you have two cases (that I can think of on the top of my head [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]):

If you want all of them old and new stations to be able to share all resources, you can put them in one big local network by changing the mask to 255.255.0.0. What this means is that all of your stations (2^16-2 possible stations for that mask) are in one big network, 192.168.0.0 or whatever you choose it to be.

If you want the new 2 hundred and some new stations to be separate from the old ones, then your way is ok. That is place them in a new network (new broadcast domain). For that the mask gotta be 255.255.255.0. This mask provides only 254 IP addresses: x.x.x.1 up to x.x.x.254. The other two possible addresses are x.x.x.0 and x.x.x.255 are used to refer to the whole network x.x.x.0, and broadcast address (x.x.x.255).

Hope that helps

[img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds