Skip to main content

Same IP, multiple websites with multiple FTP sites

More
20 years 6 months ago #1553 by Raggedy_Hobo
i know the multiple websites is possible with one IP address thanks to HTTP headers .. but, what about having an associated FTP to each site .. possible in a W2K OS?

Don't want to waste my time trying to get it to work if its not possible .. :(

In the beginning ...

I wonder, where will this road lead me

I configured and got running my first "real" network ever on October 22, 2003 at 5am THANKS to the wonderful people of www.firewall.cx/index.php
More
20 years 6 months ago #1554 by sahirh
Uhm do you mean separate ftp content or just a load balancer ? Load balancing is easy enough.

I didn't know you used HTTP headers to host multiple websites on one IP. Could you go through that for me ?

Btw sweet signature :) we feel loved !

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 6 months ago #1558 by Dudbolt
Host header names are an easy to assign multiple web sites to the same IP and port number. Once you have the default website set up with an ip and port number you set up the other sites you want to host.

On these site you specify the host header name, eg dudbolt.com. If you have another web site eg dudbolt.co.uk, you set up another site and change the host header to match. This doesnt work on some browsers as they dont pass the host header to IIS. IIS needs to see what site the browser is requesting so that i can give the the correct site back again.

Db
More
20 years 6 months ago #1559 by sahirh
Thanks dudbolt, I learned something :)

Sahir Hidayatullah.
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 6 months ago #1567 by tfs
This is apparently is a problem with SSL, not IIS and is designed to work that way.

It has to do with figuring out which certificate to use.

More info at:

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=...P&NoWebContent=1

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 6 months ago #1596 by sahirh
Aah of course that would break SSL..

Sahir Hidayatullah.
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds