Skip to main content

LAN connection using private IPs

More
18 years 4 months ago #12458 by nkjose
Replied by nkjose on topic LAN clients
Hi folks,
It worked !! The D-link router has an option for LAN clients wherein we can enter an IP address and host name (or Computer Name). Thus that computer will always get the same IP address. The same IP address can then be forced on the TCP/IP settings on the computers and hey! its working as of now. Am monitoring it for the time being. Lets see how long this is gonna last.

The exact step in the GUI is as follows:

1. LAN -> Advanced -> LAN Clients ->
2. Enter IP address and Host Name and click on Add. The IP address along with the host name will be displayed under the heading Static Addresses.
3. Click on Apply.
4. Click on Tools tab at the top.
5. Go to system.
6. Click on Save & Reboot.

Its working for me. Hope it stays good !
Nitin
More
18 years 4 months ago #12496 by dwyane
:D thts cool buddy.. was busy with the new year celebrations.. just checked out ur post.. keep in touch..
More
18 years 4 months ago #12507 by nkjose
Replied by nkjose on topic Cable problem ?
Hi folks,
First of all I would like to extend my heartfelt greetings to you all for a great New Year ahead. I'm sure Deeg, u guys must have had a rocking new year party !!
Now coming to the matter, things don't look as smooth as it seemed before. First I discover I am using a straight thru cable between the router and the switch and neither of them have an uplink port. I wonder if I need a cross-over cable instead... Secondly what is happening is that the ADSL light on the router goes off as soon as I plug in the ethernet cable. After numerous attempts of power cycling and unplugging and re-plugging the cables the connection is restored. But at any point of time if there is a power failure or anything of the sort the connection goes down again and it takes a great deal of effort to bring the connection up again. Still trying to check whethter it is the IP addresses that are causing the problem or if its the ethernet cable that is the real culprit.

Regards
Nitin
More
18 years 4 months ago #12519 by naughtypaul
Hi Nitin

Hope you are doing good. Let me try to clear few of your doubts

Answer for Question : 1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With most switches support a Layer 1 algorithm called MDIX. With MDIX a switch automatically identifies its peer and adjust its connecting port (straight / cross) irrespective of the ethernet cable type..

I learnt that you are using a DLink ADSL router which should have a RJ-11 port & 4 RJ45 ports (if I am wrong pls correct) . To connect another switch to the DLINK LAN Port you should use a Cross cable if the switch is a MDI based..... and any cable if the switch is MDIX based.

Answer for Question : 2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you ever tried to connect a computer directly to the DLINK Router ?
I think the correct cable between the router & the switch should solve the problem because I feel that the strainght cable between the switch & the router is forcing for a negotiation phase which either fails / takes time..

Also please let us know about the model number of your DLINk Router & the Switch you have for better answer....

Thanks
Paul 8)

Thanks
NaughtyPaul
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds