Skip to main content

LAN connection using private IPs

More
18 years 4 months ago #12436 by nkjose
This may be a simple issue here. I have 2 win xp Pro 2002 SP2 computers connected together using a d-link router and a 10/100 fast ethernet switch. Both computers obtain IP address automatically. I have enabled NAT and DHCP on my router. I am able to connect to the internet and also access the other computer on LAN. Now this is what I would like to do. I would like to assign private IP address to both my computers. I get a dynamic IP from my ISP. Is there any way I can configure my LAN so that I can connect to the internet and LAN and also have private IPs on both my computers.

Thanx in advance.
More
18 years 4 months ago #12446 by DaLight
Welcome to firewall.cx, nkjose. Because you have enabled DHCP and NAT on your router, your PCs will already have privately assigned addresses. You can find out what these are by typing in the command "ipconfig" at the command prompt.

Whenever you visit any websites, the IP address dynamically assigned by your ISP will be presented to such websites. You can use a website such as IP Chicken to verify this.
More
18 years 4 months ago #12449 by dwyane
hi there nitin..
what i understand that u want to have private ips on the LAN side..
u got to desbale lan side of the router make shure that NAT is on,
and then plug the private static ips in the LAN TCP/IP properties of the computer
More
18 years 4 months ago #12450 by dwyane
:? i suppose this is what u wanted to know
More
18 years 4 months ago #12454 by naughtypaul
As Dalight said.... with NAT your PCs must already have privet IP address (provided you did not change your NAT Box settings) .

for more data in NAT visit : computer.howstuffworks.com/nat.htm

Regards
Paul 8)

Thanks
NaughtyPaul
More
18 years 4 months ago #12456 by nkjose
Replied by nkjose on topic Lan Clients??
Hi Deeg,

Man i knew for sure either you or Tarun would definitely check this. But my first note would be to DaLight. I am able to connect to the internet and LAN when the router is assigning IP addresses. The issue is I would like to manually give IP addresses to both the computers.
Now coming to you, my dear friend Deeg, I tried to follow the steps you gave me but I am still searching for an option for disabling the LAN side on this D-link router. I did find something called Lan Clients(enables users to specify the desired lan clients' IP for selected by setting the rules of Virtual Server) but am trying to find out if thats what I really need and not end up screwing the connection. Well I'll keep trying. Will inform as soon as I find something.
Thanx to all..

regards
Nitin
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds