Skip to main content

Choosing the best certification

More
19 years 8 months ago #4545 by Chris
I've just crashed into this thread and would like to add my 2 cents worth!

Being new in today's networking field is no easy task as there is so much material to learn and choosing the correct path/certification is quite a task in itself!

So where do you start from?

My approach to the networking field was a bit different from most people's who tend to stick to the most popular certifications without giving themselves a chance on another less popular certifications which might prove more better for them in the future.

For this reason I always advice people to go for the general certifications first to obtain the strong foundations (as Sahir correct noted) required. These exams are usually the small an easy ones provide by CompTIA e.g Network +.

From there, you start to get into the real stuff with selections from Linux, Mirosoft, Cisco and many more. The MCSE has lost its value and that's something that most professionals will tell you, but it dosen't mean you won't learn anything from it.

The fact is that you really don't need to go for your full MCSE. For people like myself who consider the effort, money and time required to obtain their MCSE is simply not worth it, there are alternatives such as the MCP and MCSA (for which I have one more exam to complete).

The MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) is Microsoft's first certification for their Windows O/S and does carry some value in the market, especially if you are new. To complete the certification you are required to pass only one core exam , e.g Windows Professional or Server. I firstly went for the MCP Server and the continued with the Professional.

By doing so, I learn't how to properly apply security on to a Windows server and also get an idea on what Active Directory is all about (nothing new here since Novell had given birth to 'Active Directory' back in 1994, but called it "Novell Directory Services"), so Microsoft decided to do the same thing .... 6 years later :)

The MCSA, which certifies you as an Administrator is my personal choice. It's not an MCSE, but something like a semi-MCSE. It requires 4 exams, of which 1 is ellective. This means that you obtain your MCP, and after 3 exams, you have your MCSA aswell.

The MCSA is the best Microsoft certification for people who do not want to spend their life pursuing Microsoft certifications, but would like something with value, showing they know their MS stuff:)

Coming to Novell, well its my first love and that's obvious since my first 3 certifications were Novell's CNA (Certified Novell Administrator) for their Novell 3, 4 and 5 operating system. A brilliant product with stability next to none, but failed to win the market because of their weak marketing. Still, there are thousands of companies looking for Novell certified people, but it's not a requirement for most jobs.

Cisco.... well .. there isn't much to say here..Cisco is certainly the future and my personal choice as my career. The truth is that the CCNA is loosing its value, and fast. Being a CCNA since 2000, I have seen more and more people obtaining the title, without having the knowledge one would expect from a CCNA certified.

Thankfully, Cisco have made their exams much harder to pass, by adding full on simulations which ensure that you know your stuff and therefore are worth having the certification! Most colleges now offer the CCNA Academy program (let me know that Firewall.cx is recomended by Cisco in their Academy program - check our awads page!) so its sort of becoming a like Microsoft's MCP - first certification offered.

The difference though between these certifications is that the CCNA will actually teach you something you can apply to any network environment. IP Addressing, Broadcasts, Routing, Subnetting, ARP, DNS, VLANs e.t.c are all popular topics you will see in any decent network these days. I beleive that the CCNA offers more personal value as a certification, as it teaches you useful things and not just how to switch on a router and program it.

Once you accomplish the CCNA and you think you know at least 40% of networking...... you will quickly realise that the CCNA only covers a mere 5% of what's out there :) and if your keen and love what you do, then it will be a matter of time until you decide it's time for the CCNP !

In short, there is a wide range of tracks to choose from. Get out there, read up on each certification and decide what you want to do. Get the basics out of the way, lay out strong-solid foundations and start on the heavy stuff!! Becoming a true network professional means you can feel what's happening inside a router or switch when you see them lights going on or off..... its a feeling you will never want to give up :)

So, stick around, read up, ask, learn and share your knowledge here as we have been doing for the past 4 years to help you benefit from it at no charge :) !

Cheers people,

p.s I've renamed this thread to help indicate what it's all about, ensuring no-one misses it.

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
19 years 8 months ago #4574 by MaXiMuS
I'll just share a lil experience which i had a few days back..

i was taking an interview for the post of network administrator in an organisation and a gentleman turned up who had work ex. of a year and a half.

In his resume were written in Bold the certifications which he had cleared , CCNA ,CCNP, PIX, Newtork+, Security+ and of course MCSE. I was already beginning to feel a lil akward, coz this guy was far more knowledgeable than me. Still..... first question i posed..

How many papers were there in CCNP?
he had no clue..
After that it was a torture for me and a more for him..coz i really felt like blowing him away with a bazooka.

What i wanna say is that , these days , if u shell out the moolah , u can easily get most of the certifications, but u'll be caught red handed in interviews. So if u wanna go for certifications, study first , get ur basics clear and then appear for a certification.

If u have some basic knowledge about network security in general, then clearing Security+ won't be difficult at all coz its an entry level certification and u can prepare for it in about a month or so.
More
19 years 8 months ago #4583 by thompsg
I'm somewhat confused.. Just because this guy didn't know how many Papers were in the CCNP you wanted to blow him away with a bazooka? What does not knowing how many papers are in the CCNP mean? Did it mean that he didn't really take it? or that he didn't really understand what he took or what?

I'm just a little confused thats all. To me knowing how many papers are in a particular certification has no reflection on your techinal knowledge what so ever. But alas maybe I'm missing something. LOL its been known to happen.
More
19 years 8 months ago #4584 by sahirh
hmm he did 6 certifications in 1 1/2 years, either he didnt work or he lives above a Prometric center ;)

basically what Maximus was saying is that here in India its very easy to 'buy' a certification.. an instructor sits in on the test for you and you get the piece of paper...

sad state

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 8 months ago #4588 by thompsg
Ahh I see where your coming from now. I didn't even look at your guys location. I'm here in Canada and i don't think that happens here (well not wide spread anyway). At least I've never heard of it happening.

Where is this site located? India as well?
More
19 years 8 months ago #4604 by Chris
thompsg,

The site is located in the U.S, but we aren't :)

I've never heard of such things happening with in a prometric lab, but I'm sure there would be cases where some type of cheating takes place!!

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds