Skip to main content

Choosing the best certification

More
20 years 3 months ago #2314 by jagan0
hello friends i am new to firewall.cx and networking and i want to earn MCSE is it worthful and how to get to it can any one help me

S.Jagan
More
20 years 3 months ago #2317 by sahirh
Hi Jagan,
Welcome to firewall.cx
I have moved your question to this section of the forums because it is devoted to certification related questions.

The MCSE is an entry level certification that will tell people that you know how to handle some basic networking and administration of Windows based networks. That said, it does not hold much weight in the job market because it is such an easy exam. Many people just study from dumps and can pass the exam even if they know very little.

However if you want to do the exam, I would suggest you first try setting up a simple windows network to test stuff out. Get two machines and install windows 2000 on them, then you can try out things like active directory, DNS, DHCP etc.

You will also want to get your networking fundamentals correct, so you should read through the material on this site under the 'Networking' menu at the top of the page.

As I said, you can pass the MCSE without knowing anything. Not to mention it is a rather long and expensive set of exams (7 papers when I checked last). You might want to consider the CCNA exam instead. It is just one or two papers (depending on how you want to do it) and costs less. Plus it is worth a lot more because it is harder. People look upon it much more favourably.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 weeks ago #3354 by George
Hi Sahirh,

I was actually having the same opinion of taking an CCNA exam instead of a MCSE but I realised (of what i understand ) that without knowing the concepts of ADS and DNS ,DHCP ,RIS which forms a part of the windows 2000 architecture,jumping over to WAN and router configration defies the essence of doing the certification ( again I might be wrong). I love networking and it is this sheer obssession that has helped till this date .Presently I am planning for a MCSE certification and I intend to complete it by the end of this year but I do not have any professional help guiding me to this obective
I am desperately gathering Materials in this regard what bothers me is that I might be beating around the bush and not doing what I am supposed to be doing.

I am making use of the resources of Firewall.cx for this pruprose and wondering if you could provide some more insight on this .

Regards

George

More
20 years 1 week ago #3393 by richelle214
hi!...im also new here in firewall.cx.....i am also interested in taking up the microsoft certification exam as well as cisco's......i am really really interested.....

"long live linksys"
More
20 years 1 week ago #3402 by netbaba
micro$oft certification? BLEAH :P

do CCNA!

:)

Admin of Wellage Community
www.wellage.net
More
19 years 8 months ago #4537 by Nur_AnGel
Replied by Nur_AnGel on topic HI
i would like to seek an advice for u guys, i intend to take network+ exam and security+ exam, my question is that how long do i need to prepare myself in order for me to pass this exam.....and if i want to concentrate to the security area can anybody suggest me a roadmap that i can follow :idea: and can anybody suggest me a book that i can buy for the two exam....
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds