Skip to main content

not able to download mails from a leased line connection.

More
19 years 10 months ago #4200 by sahirh
I have a feeling this is more than a mailserver problem. Do you even have connectivity to the mailserver.. try pinging first..

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 10 months ago #4213 by sappy24
Hi Chris & Sahir :D ,

Firstly i apologise for not clearing an issue in my earlier posts. Chris thanks for ur suggestions, now i will take care while writing further posts and will try to be more specific.

I am a beginner in this field so i suppose i should first of all tell you about our setup. Then only i would be able to properly communicate myself :) . Here it goes......

1. We are woking on linux based webserver which has proxy settings.
2. We have taken a leased line connection from ISP which ofcourse connected to our D-Link router.
3. We download mails from web using 'fetchmail' command.
4. Now the scenario is that i am not able to download mails using leased line connection via router. I do 'fetchmail' to download mails and it says 'SOCKET ERROR', which i believe is an hardware error, whereas i have checked all the hardware connections and there is no loophole.
5. Point to be noted that when i try to download mail using some other dial-up services, it works fine.

And yes chris, i meant exactly that, that when i use leased line via router DNS doesn't work. But somehow, it has started working now.

And chris i didn't change the string last time :oops:
and this time i am getting a message "Could not open a connection to xx.yy.org 110"

Yes Sahir, I have tried pinging a mailserver and i am getting a positive reply.

Guys now i have tried to make myself clear in this posts. Please let me know if some information is missing. I hope this time i communicated it properly.

Looking for ur further help & suggestions.

Thanks & Regards.......Nitz! 8)

[code:1]
I have modified your post to remove the details of your configuration. As far as possible try not to post information that can tie directly back to your systems. This is not a good idea on public forums.

-- Sahir Hidayatullah
[/code:1]
[/code]

Nitin Mehrotra

Silicon Comnet (P) Ltd.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds