Skip to main content

not able to download mails from a leased line connection.

More
19 years 10 months ago #4139 by sappy24
We have taken a leased line connection from service provider. We are able to download our mails using dial-up modems (pop) but when we download e-mails using leased line connection it gives a "Socket Error - 2". We are using fetchmail command to download, i mean we have got linux server installed. Please suggest what to do.

Nitin Mehrotra

Silicon Comnet (P) Ltd.

More
19 years 10 months ago #4153 by Chris
Sappy,

There are a few things you can try to breakdown the problem.

1) Configure a Windows machine to connect to an account and download its email. I usually prefer Outlook Express because its fast and gives you more information about any errors that might occur.

2) If the above works, then you have a problem with your fetchmail service - double check its configuration.

3) If the 1st step fails, then get on a windows or Linux machine, open a dos prompt (or shell in Linux) and type " telnet smtp.yourserver.com 110". There are two possibilities here 1) you will either get a greeting message from the service running on the remote server ( I get something like this: +OK POP3 gateway [cppop 10.0] at [66.45.237.140] ) or 2) you won't see anything happening.

If you get the greeting, this means that its most probably a configuration error on the client side - doublecheck your settings. If you don't get any message or data back, then it's highly possible that either a local or remote firewall is blocking your packets. In this situation, talk to the network admin or hosting provider.

As a last note, you can try the 3rd step by also telnetting to your mail server but using port 25 instead of 110. Port 25 is used for sending mail from your client, while 110 is for downloading mail to it.

Let us know how it went!

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
19 years 10 months ago #4163 by sappy24
Thanks a ton Chris for ur suggestions/support. I will try all the optinos and will get back for sure.

Thanks again......Nitz!

Nitin Mehrotra

Silicon Comnet (P) Ltd.

More
19 years 10 months ago #4179 by sappy24
Hi chris,

I tried ur suggestinos one by one but got these results....

1. Configured a windows machine to connect to an a/c & tried downloading mails by using outlook but couldn't suceed. It gives error message.....

A/C - Ranjan
Server - Deepalaya
Protocol - POP3
Port - 110
Secure (SSL) : No
Socket Error : 11004
Error Number - 0x800CCC0D

2. Checked 'fetchmail' configuration and found it absolutely fine.

3. Did 'telnet smtp.yourserver.com 110/25 but it again says unable to connect.

Please suggest what to do further.

Thanks........Nitz!

Nitin Mehrotra

Silicon Comnet (P) Ltd.

More
19 years 10 months ago #4180 by sappy24
One more thing i wanted to add, which is newly found that....

If i am accessing any website through our proxy - it works fine, but if I am directly using router to access the sites its not working......I mean if i am using router then DNS is not working properly. What could be the possible reason.

Thanks.......Nitz!

Nitin Mehrotra

Silicon Comnet (P) Ltd.

More
19 years 10 months ago #4184 by Chris
Sappy,

Clear one point for me - when you tried telnetting to "smtp.yourserver.com".... did you replace the string with your actualy mail server or just tried it as "smtp.yourserver.com" ?

The error your getting from outlook, 0x800CCC0D means it cannot find the server you specified and I'm afraid when you tested it, you actually did enter the string I gave you, in which case, it's logical that you got that error and the manual telnet did not work!

Assuming you did NOT replace the string with your real server, you should try it again and let us know what the results were.

If you DID replace the string with the real server then adding the information from the last post (which wasn't exactly clear) I'd say there is a restriction from your ISP, that allows you to view sites and possibly access external email accounts only via their proxy.

Before we procced and start loosing track on what works and what dosen't work, let me know about the "smtp.yourserver.com" string and we'll take it from there.

Lastly, in your last post, did you mean that when you use the leased line via a router, then DNS won't work ?

To help us help you, we must understand what your trying to do.
Remember that we are unaware of your setup so this requires acurate and precise information. Take your time when posting, and read your own post to ensure it make sence to someone reading it for the first time. Diagrams are also very useful - if you are able to create some using ASCI characters:)

I'll be waiting for your reply.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds