Skip to main content

Where has the Shout-box gone?

More
18 years 10 months ago #8684 by Chris
Around 20 months ago, we introduced a new communication tool named the 'shout-box' which allowed all visitors and members to 'shout' out loud and be heard by everyone!

Because we saw this new service being abused, after many requests, we decided to only allow members to post messages, while anonymous visitors were still able to read through the shout-box's history.

Two weeks ago, we decided to bring the shout-box offline until further notice. Reason for this action is that sadly enough, members have been using the shout-box as a 'trash' box, filling it with unacceptable content and phrases.

Because we strive to keep our site's service level and educational value as high as possible, we were forced to bring the service offline until further notice.

We regret for this action, but since we can't control the manners of a few individuals of our community, we are required to take such actions.

If anyone would like to comment or make any suggestions, we will gladly hear them.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
18 years 10 months ago #8696 by cybersorcerer
<rant>Wow, you would think a site like this would draw a more mature community then it gets! I never really used the shout-box that often, but the fact of the matter is that people should bring the manners learned in real life and at least TRY to make use of them on the internet. This is not some teenage chat site where you can come and make your life meaningful and actually exert brain power to conjure up some lame comment. I'm sorry, but if your that desperate for attention and pathetic humor, go into the middle of a crowd and recite some ellen degneras stand-up comedy(shudders). </rant>

I'm sorry that the firewall.cx team actually had to deal with that, but I still think this site is well done and maintains a proffessional attitude.. most of the time.. :-D Keep up the good work!

"He who breaks something to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."

Gandalf the Grey
More
18 years 10 months ago #8737 by sahirh
It's very sad actually.. I used the s/box alot just to touch base with members and say hi when I saw them online -- it really helps the sense of community that you're talking to the person 'live'.

Unfortunately it just became too much towards the end. Maybe we'll bring it back if enough people request it, but we need a way to make sure that the team moderators don't spend their waking lives clearing out abuse from there !!

Perhaps an f.cx IRC server will be the next stage of evolution.

Cheers all

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
18 years 10 months ago #8738 by cybersorcerer
Great idea! I've always wondered why this site didn't have one in the first place. Don't overburden yourselves though.. The site can't have EVERYTHING now can it :lol:

"He who breaks something to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."

Gandalf the Grey
More
18 years 10 months ago #8914 by sahirh
Rest assured when we get one you'll get ops cybersorcerer :) We'll need most of the regulars to pull in :)

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds