Skip to main content

New System Protector Module Installed and Activated !

More
20 years 3 months ago #2136 by Chris
We would like to announce the activation of our new System Protector (SP).

The SP has been installed in response to a few users that have been repeatedly trying to download the whole site by using various 'web copy' programs, causing a noticeable slowdowns across the site and chewing up valuable bandwidth and resources which we pay.

While these programs will not work correctly for sites like ours, based on PHP (cause our 'php' files are dynamically created from 3 or more other files), we feel that certain measures must be taken in order to protect our site and guarantee the availability of Firewall.cx to everyone.

How does the SP module affect you?

It doesn't! We have tweaked the module in such a way to 'catch' users activity that exceed that of 'normal' web browsing.

Should a user exceed the threshold set, his/her IP Address is automatically banned from the site and is not able to gain any access.

If for any reason this happens to a 'normal' user, we ask that you notify us by emailing us at feedback@firewall.cx. If we don't find any traces of such aforementioned programs in our web logs, the ban will be removed.

We were hoping this module wouldn't be required, but unfortunately there are people out there who really don't care about the time, effort and money we have put to create this site for you to benefit from.

Any ideas or comments are as always, welcomed.

-The Firewall.cx Team-

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 3 months ago #2137 by sahirh
This is a very good idea !

If anyone insists on rioting about the freedom of information, they should consider that everything is given away for free here.... but I've personally seen sites just lifting whole pages from here and putting them up as their own without giving any credit... not that I think anyone on the team is dying to become world famous but theres always a certain level of attachment to your own work.

Furthermore if everyone were to just run around leeching the site the bandwidth bill would be incredible and then we'd have to resort to advertising and you'd be forced to view those goddamn 'click the monkey' banner ads !! Why can't people just digest one page at a time.. I mean hey, I seriously doubt anyone can assimilate the all the information on this site in one big gulp

Hehe I'm wondering whether I'll exceed the limits.. I don't really manage any normal browsing here.. its more like, open the personal messages in one tab, open the main forums page in another and then open each of the forums in their own tabs.

Btw if anyone has ever 'clicked the monkey' in a banner ad and won anything please let me know.. I want to write an article on you.. the same applies if you've won anything 'clicking the mole/rabbit/giraffe/iguana'.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all ! :)

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 3 months ago #2163 by abdulla
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds