Skip to main content

CHROME OS: Your observations

More
11 years 11 months ago #37948 by Arani
Ok, here's my verdict

Maybe five years ago, if your only need was to surf the next and check emails, and standard office documents, then this OS would have been a good platform for notebooks. I know the Chrome OS is shipped as part of certain notebooks. But I'm thinking, most mobile phones gives you that functionality today, and so much more. So at the end of the day do I need another notebook that helps me to surf, check emails and look at documents online? Nope, I'm alright thanks. I'll do all of that on my IOS phones or my Androids, and leave the massive number crunching softwares to run on my uber powerful desktops and laptops.

Google missed the bus on this one, I must admit. Not to mention the fact that Chrome runs on Linux (unless I'm wrong). So basically this is another stunted flavour of the madness triggered by Linus Torvalds.

If and only if, an entire business runs on the cloud infrastructure, then, and only then can a low powered notebook running Chrome OS become handy. However, I just can't see the point.

Cheers

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds