Skip to main content

Windows NT domain and Netware

More
20 years 8 months ago #491 by thorpe
I currently have a Windows nt 4 domain that has numerous windows clients (98 win200, winxp).

I have now been given the task of running a netware 5 server. Is it posible to make a netware file server part of a windows NT domain and let the NT user accounts have access to the netware server.

Any info would be good and so would links to web sites.
thanks
More
20 years 7 months ago #492 by jackeen
Hi thorpe

yes this is possible,there are a few differant ways of doing this,

first of all you are going to need a client to be able to connect to the netware server.

you can either install gateway services for netware on your server (nt) and this way all you windows machines will use you server to make the connection with the netware server,this should be fine providing your nt server isn't bogged down with other services and wont be able to handle it

or your other option would be to go around and install client services for netware on all the windows machines,this way the individual pc will be using there own resources to make the connection and not the nt server.

now for the protocol considering your using netware 5 you have save yourself a bit of hassel cause netware 5 uses the tcp/ip protocol and not ipx/spx and therefore there should be not hassels there.

there are other ways of doing this as well netwares client 32 being install on all the workstations will do the trick to.

hope this gets u on your way

cheers
More
20 years 7 months ago #493 by thorpe
Ok That helped but I am still confused with one little thing.

Will the netware server or the windows nt domain controller host the users and group accounts for the domain.

If I log on to the netware server will I be able to see the any files on the windows NT server?

cheers
More
20 years 7 months ago #494 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Windows NT domain and Netware
If you install the NWclient on your workstations, then your workstations will need to log on to your a)nt server and b)netware server.

From memory, you can save yourself a lot of trouble and give your users the same passwords for both servers, this will require them to enter their password once.

If you choose to have all clients access your netware server via the NT gateway, then they will not require the nwclient, but you need to keep in mind that all clients, including the server will access the resources on the nw server via one account.

If you need more information, you can also visit support.novell.com.

NetWare used to and still is a fine server product. At my former company, we use to run atleast 4 NW servers, from 3.12 to 5.1. It's been years now since I touched the product, as everything is slowly moving away from it.

In terms of stability, it is incomparable to Windows NT/2000. Netware is much more stable as a file server than Windows, but is certainly not the ideal choice for a Firewall or Webserver, for that I'd stick to Linux.

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 6 months ago #898 by netwarerular
hey , there is a program called NDS FOR NT, that is to integrate Windows nt to act like a Netware server

Novell Netware Rulez
netware.mine.nu
//Mattias
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds