Skip to main content

Ports open on Windows

More
21 years 6 months ago #477 by Einstein
I noticed that while trying to assess my system's ports, even on a newly intalled machine, port 137, 138, and 139( [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img] ) are always open. What are these ports used for and are they a potential threat. My theory is that it is a possible back door for Gates and his staff. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
More
21 years 5 months ago #478 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Ports open on Windows
Oh Master [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Those ports you mentioned are used by the TCP/IP protocol for Netbios communications.

Putting it in simple terms, using these ports, windows machines can talk to each other and transfer data.

If your on a network at home and your talking to other machines, you need these ports open. If this is a stand alone pc, you can use a 3rd party firewall program e.g Zonealarm to close them up [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,

[img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
21 years 4 months ago #479 by MTHOME
Replied by MTHOME on topic Ports open on Windows
The way to disable the ports is to not enable Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Print sharing. I know on the new XP it comes pre-enabled but if you were to disable it you will notice the ports close.
More
21 years 4 months ago #480 by lxs
Replied by lxs on topic Ports open on Windows
format c: /q /u

quick fix.
More
20 years 9 months ago #481 by jbruijntjes
Replied by jbruijntjes on topic Ports open on Windows
Another solution is to disable Netbios over TCP (2000 and XP only)

Just see for yourself
start-->run-->cmd

Netstat -a

NOTICE the netbios entry

Now open your TCP/IP Properties-->Advanced-->WINS

There disable Netbios over TCP.

Now take a look again with netstat -A

Kind regards,

John Bruijntjes MCSE /CCNA

Message for LXS (see earlier posting).....everyone needs a change to learn so if you are so smart go ahead and answer some questions...answer them wrong and i flame you like hell!!! [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]

[ 23 June 2003: Message edited by: JJB ]

"Los Angeles, year 2029. All stealth bombers are upgraded with neural processors, becoming fully unmanned. One of them, Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. eastern time, August 29.
More
20 years 8 months ago #482 by FrameWork
Replied by FrameWork on topic Ports open on Windows
The solution is very easy, just type in services.msc into the command prompt and disable the services you don't want running. There is a port tied to each service.

If you arent familiar with all the services, take a trip to www.blackviper.com and familiarize yourself with each one. You would be surprised at how many you can disable and still maintain functionality. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I usually boot up with only 15 or 16 services at any one time.

Have fun.

[ 08 July 2003: Message edited by: FrameWork ]
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds