Skip to main content

Windows 2003 Server as BDC

More
19 years 11 months ago #4130 by jhun
hi to all :D
can anyone help me how to configure a Win2k3 Server as a BDC? or even provide me with resources just to help me get started on the subject. I'm currently setting up an experimental Network for purposes of study. If anyone has suggestions and ideas please kindly post them here...It would be most higly appreciated. Thanks so much!

have a nice day! :lol:
More
19 years 11 months ago #4131 by sahirh
Hi Jhun, INAWE (Im not a Windows expert), but as far as I remember, there is no concept of a BDC since Windows 2000.. they threw the concept out with NT.

Now you're either a domain-controller or you're not.. and all DC's will integrate in Active Directory.. however there are some options when you manage active directory to set priority for specific DC's.. this allows you to sort of load-balance the traffic to the different DCs..

I'm pretty sure Jack will have this much clearer than me..

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 11 months ago #4135 by jhun
Replied by jhun on topic Re: Windows 2003 Server as BDC
hi

thanks sahirh. i would just like to have a sort of backup system so that if ever my domain controller would crash i would have one ready to take the responsibilities of the DC...hope that you could shed more light on the subject :D

by the way is there also a way in which i could synchronize files from and between two servers so that files from one server is the same as the files in the other one?...sort of a redundancy check of files...and i'm not talking about backup here :wink: ..what i mean is that while files are being dealt with on one server the same thing happens on the other server's files....making both servers have the same files and settings even when modified... :) ...i hope i explained it clear enough coz i got myself confused too...hehehe :lol:
More
19 years 11 months ago #4143 by sahirh
What you're talking about is called replication and it will happen automatically between the DC's configured in the doman..

just install two DC's in your domain and all your problems are solved

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
17 years 1 week ago #21676 by wrecklesswun
Replied by wrecklesswun on topic Use DFS
Build a replica controller and then build dfs
More
16 years 11 months ago #22098 by junaidjan
Replied by junaidjan on topic Windows Server 2003
Hi!!