Skip to main content

Administering Windows PC on a network

More
12 years 2 months ago #37790 by skylimit
Hi guys, we have over 100 windows pcs running different flavours of Windows on a LAN and I was wondering what would be the best way administer them. i.e. install/update anti-virus, disable usb ports, control user access to say network config, etc.

Is this something to do with active directory, windows domain, or what? I know what I'd like to achieve but not sure what it's called if this makes sense.

Where do I start?

thanks for any contributions

"...you are never too old to learn" anon
More
12 years 2 months ago #37792 by Bublitz
For antivirus I recommend Sophos.

Web Protection/Filtering
Data Encryption
Device control (usb protection)
Application control
Data Control
Path assessment
NAC
Firewall
Exchange/share point protection

If you buy over 200 licenses they allow you to share their protection with your employees for home protection. Which is pretty cool. With this many machines id recommend active directory.

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Hospice of the Red River Valley
More
11 years 8 months ago #38072 by RedRanger
Everything you're asking for can be managed through Group Policy. Group Policies can be applied at the Group, OU, Domain, and Forest levels. This will allow you to specify if you want the USB ports to be utilized, desktop config, push out software (anti-virus), etc.

For 2003 Servers, you need to run gpedit.msc to open the console for Group Policy. 2008 and up servers have this readily available from the Administrative Tools, provided you are on a domain controller.

RedRanger

"I'd Rather You Hate Me For Everything I Am Than Love Me For Something I'm Not."

Be Awesome
More
11 years 8 months ago #38075 by skylimit
Thanks guys

"...you are never too old to learn" anon
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds