Skip to main content

File replication

More
13 years 8 months ago #35293 by kogula14
File replication was created by kogula14
Hi,

I want to know if there is any method can be used for file replication between two servers which is in different geograhic location?

This is for high level redundancy case. I am using Windows server 2008.

Thanks
More
13 years 8 months ago #35311 by KiLLaBeE
Replied by KiLLaBeE on topic Re: File replication
On Windows Server 2003 there's File Replication Service (or I think it's Distributed File System...can't remember). Either way, this feature allows you to create a file system on two separate servers and then let the service replicate changes from one side to the other. It's been a while since I read about it or touched it so I can't give you any more details.

I think this same feature exists in 2008 as well
More
13 years 8 months ago #35320 by Bublitz
Replied by Bublitz on topic Re: File replication
Killable is correct DFS is also on 2008 but it's a newer version and its better. Know this your domain level must be at 2008 to use the NEW DFS. If your domain schema isn't there yet its worth the work. The new version has some decent enhancements that will make things more efficient.

( EDIT Oops I take that back your domain level must be at 2003 r2)

2008 Standard can use DFS with up to 1 other server. If you have multiple servers that will be performing DFS or replications to multi servers to one spot to need Enterprise 2008 at the "hub" at the very least.

Here is a in-depth step by step guide as well.

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732863(WS.10).aspx

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Hospice of the Red River Valley
More
13 years 8 months ago #35337 by skepticals
Replied by skepticals on topic Re: File replication
I recently spent a month trying to find the best method to sync my data and eventually used ROBOCOPY. The only other piece of software that worked was Beyond Replication.

I tried Windows DFSR for weeks and it has HORRIBLE reporting - or at least the reports I found were horrible and I had no idea when it was working.

I suggest scripting ROBOCOPY to run and use the mirroring option.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
More
13 years 4 months ago #35797 by racyhall11
Replied by racyhall11 on topic Re: File replication
File Replication Service is a Microsoft Windows Server service for distributing shared files and Group Policy Objects. File Replication Service can replicate content between Windows 2000-based servers that host the same fault-tolerant distributed file system (Dfs) roots or child node replicas.
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds