Skip to main content

not able to connect ...

More
20 years 4 days ago #3524 by indebluez
hey...i cant seem to connect to any of the services...
like my ip-duc...is not able to connect to their servers...it
keeps sayin "checkin remote ip address"

and i cant activate remote desktop and remote assitance...also my audio converfrencing online cant connect either....
and kazaa is forver tryin to connect...help...looks like all my remote connecctions are disabled..or somethin?

help
More
20 years 4 days ago #3526 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: not able to connect ...
You are unable to connect to remote locations or online services .... Do you have access to any of the equipment that connects your network to the Internet? e.g Firewalls, routers e.t.c?

Is it possible that someone has made some changes to your access lists and blocked you in the process?

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 4 days ago #3528 by indebluez
hi chris:)

no i jus called the helpdesk...and they tried to ping me and it was unsuccesfful...and when i tried to ping www.yahoo.com ...
1)i got a ping failed error code 65...but i was able to surf the internet when i got this error msg...i am not recieving the ping echo becoz somethin is blockin it from being received, is it? my kazaa, ms outlook, ip-duc would not connect....i had zonealarm...but it was disabled...

2)they told me to uninstall it...and now it works...i forgot to check its configurations before uninstalling it....but yeah now everythin wks...man...but it was not runnin...how did it block access to all these services

thanx again
saras
More
20 years 3 days ago #3530 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Re: not able to connect ...
IndeBluez --

You'll find your answer here on how firewalls work.

www.firewall.cx/firewall.php

Jack Burgess,
Firewall.cx Staff
News Editor / Forum Moderator
www.jacksjunk.com
More
20 years 3 days ago #3534 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: not able to connect ...
Zonealarm has two ridiculous buttons..
1. The 'Panic' big red stop-everything-this-instant button
2. The 'Lock' stop-everything except my favourite programs button

Button 1 is supposed to 'instantly stop the Internet'.. funny, they taught me that it would survive a nuclear war.. still, it does just that.. locks up all upstream downstream transfer from your machine... why you would want to do this I dont know.. I believe the disconnect button does the same thing..

Button 2 blocks everything except certain programs that you have given permission to run even in lock mode.. this is sometimes useful when you give the browser and mail client lock privelidges.. if you think you have a virus you can still surf for a solution without spewing the worm all over the net.

Its possible you accidently smashed one of these fun buttons under your over zealous mouse cursor.. that would explain why ZA locked up your net connection .. or just a few things....

Alternatively you ran around deleting DLLs in /Windows/System32 and to put it with ballerina-esque subtlety... ran over ZoneAlarm with an 18 wheeler truck, hacked its left over remains into matchbox sized pieces with a blunt chainsaw and roasted them on a slow charcoal....

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 days ago #3566 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: not able to connect ...
I had a similar problem a system I was troubleshooting just lately.

The one computer couldn't seem to see the internet by names, but I could ping the outside using the address. But if I did a ping of the name (including www.yahoo.com ), I could get no response. I assumed that there was some sort of DNS problem.

As it turned out, there was a Norton Firewall running on the computer. When we turned the firewall off, it worked fine and has since then.

Thanks,

Tom
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds