Skip to main content

Web browsing problem in Win2K n WinXP

More
20 years 1 week ago #3483 by SmartDude
Hello gurus,
I got yet another weird problem in windows 2000 & windows XP. The problem is that my system can resolve hostnames but when i try to browse websites, it does not work at all in win2K. I suspected of trojans n did netstat lookup also. What i found is that .
None of the TCP ports are opened after getting connected to my ISP
i couldn't see any ips n ports opened in foreign hosts. I did virus scan also with latest definitions, but still have same problem. Hope u guys will show me some way to get it done. In WinXP also same thing happened. What's causing this problem, i couldn't figure it out. Hope to receive ur replies ASAP.

Share the Knowledge, make a master being a Master...
Best Regards,
SmartDude
More
20 years 1 week ago #3486 by sahirh
Go to a DOS box (start >> run >> 'cmd') and paste your

ipconfig /all

output..

When you say the system can resolve hostnames I assume you're trying to ping something to check.. what is the error that your webbrowser gives you ? It is possible that a proxy has been configured in the browser settings and the proxy is no longer around.

Connecting to your ISP wont open up any tcp ports.. however if TCP/IP isn't properly ocnfigured, then you wont see any open ports.

In short, drop us some more details.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 1 week ago #3487 by SmartDude
Thank sahir for ur kind reply. The error message i get in browser is page cannot be displayed n no bytes send receive is also doing. The connection sits idle. I tried using TCP/IP stack also but it didn't work. i can ping anywebsites but it doesn't opens. when i do netstat -an none of the ports seems open when my file n print sharing is enabled.. Is this kinda suspicious thing???

Best Regards,
SmartDude
More
20 years 6 days ago #3497 by Jack

I tried using TCP/IP stack also but it didn't work.

* What does that mean??
* When you do an ipconfig what does it give you for a IP address?
* Do have ANY firewalls turned on including XP's?
* How do you connect to the internet? Whats your network configuration? Any Proxy's?, etc...
* How many NIC's do you have in these box's?
* Are these servers, workstations or standalones?

Jack Burgess,
Firewall.cx Staff
News Editor / Forum Moderator
www.jacksjunk.com
More
19 years 11 months ago #3602 by SmartDude
Hello all,
I didn't get any replies from you guys. I resolved this problem in Windows 98, it was due to corrupt WINSOCK file. I tried the same trick in WIndows 2000 n my bad luck, it didn't work. SO can anybody suggest me how to reset WINSOCK in windows 2000 n Windows XP. I googled a lot but couldn't find the solution to it. Hope u guys know some shortcuts n Plz respond to this post....

Best Regards,
SmartDude
More
19 years 11 months ago #3828 by sLz
Old posting but wey hey here goes...

I'm sorry if this holds no relevance in Windows 2K (Not used it that often, certainly not in depth) however, is the netsh command valid in W2K?

If so then:

netsh winsock reset

Resets winsock catalog to a clean state. Possibility mate, good luck.
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds