Skip to main content

Windows 7 : DeepFreeze or Antivirus?

More
13 years 10 months ago #34624 by Spiegel
Hi,

Not sure if I am posting on the right web site but maybe you can help me.

Basically, I want to know if Windows 7 with Deep Freeze and no anti-virus is secure enough in a school environment?

Here are the details if needed...

I work in a K12 school. I am preparing a few laptops with Windows 7 for students. I have been told that Kaspersky anti-virus can not update itself if Deep Freeze is on. That cause computers to behave weirdly. And there is no way I can schedule Thawed Maintenance periods to perform the update since I have a Mac Server ...not windows :(

I am going to configure a common standard local account for all users and enforce it with strong policies (ex,: authorized applications only will be available). They'll connect to their network share manually. Windows 7 can not bind to a Mac server because it uses a new version of Samba.

Installing Deep Freeze only is the idea for now But a worm can spread really fast . By the time I restart the affected laptop, the teachers computer (no Deep Freeze) could be affected.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
More
13 years 10 months ago #34640 by Bublitz

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Hospice of the Red River Valley
More
13 years 10 months ago #34716 by skepticals
I used Deepfreeze and Symantec and it was amazing! I loved it. Whenever I had an issue all I did was reboot the computer and it was fixed. I all the computers on a schedule to Wake-on-LAN at night, start in a thaw mode and update Windows and anitvirus.
More
13 years 8 months ago #35128 by micofy
Replied by micofy on topic best antivirus
Hello guys!
If you want the best solution to keep your computer clean or to get rid of intruders if you have in your PC. I suggest you guys to find the best anti-virus software and install it in your computer.
More
13 years 8 months ago #35133 by JamieP
Replied by JamieP on topic Re: best antivirus

Hello guys!
If you want the best solution to keep your computer clean or to get rid of intruders if you have in your PC. I suggest you guys to find the best anti-virus software and install it in your computer.

thanks for that...that a ground breaking idea

Jamie Parks
Network Engineer, UK
More
13 years 8 months ago #35321 by routik
Replied by routik on topic Re: best antivirus

Hello guys!

but the post is talking of school environment here, there is no how deep freeze will be waved away.

Visions are never fully formulated. they develop with time.
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds