Skip to main content

hp startup problem

More
14 years 4 months ago #32981 by sose
hp startup problem was created by sose
while installing update on hp pavilion dv2700 on win vista, my boss shutdown his laptop due to inpatience. now the laptop cannot pass startup. when I reboot, it will show me updates are installing then after a minute.

what I did

a. repair startup
b. no restore point so I could not restore
c.hardware diagnostic did not detect any memory problem

could not still boot windows

but i do see an error code like this

2/14522- (00000000. cdf- ms)

I am suspecting a hard ware problem

some other logged errors to like this

last succesfull boot 12/7/2009

session detail
system disk = device\ hardisk0
windows directory = c: \windows
autochk run =0
More
14 years 4 months ago #33000 by next_virus
Replied by next_virus on topic Re: hp startup problem
Few days back, I have faced nearly the same problem with my desktop. I was asked (by HP customer care) to remove the CMOS battery and RAM for about 10 mins, then install / repair XP. This worked.
More
14 years 4 months ago #33026 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: hp startup problem
I moved out the hard disk , slaved it , backed up manually , placed it back and did some system recovery and that solved the problem. but I believe there is a better way
More
14 years 4 months ago #33030 by sys-halt
Replied by sys-halt on topic Re: hp startup problem
hi sose, there is nothing wrong in what you did, accident happens and the clean recovery you did is nice and would probably solved many unknown problems.

I didn't get the full details about when the system starts up and then tries to install the updates what happens next?

Although the problem of being turned off manually has certain consequences, normally it can damage the Windows files and it sounds in such case it was installing or downloading windows updates in the background and the laptop shuts down abnormally, and sometimes it might damage the Hard Disk itself.

you could next time do a Check Disk from command line:
c\>chkdsk /p /r

this might solve any disk partitioning error during the shut down.

And also do a Hard Disk Check for Bad Sectors, I normally use SeaTools for DOS from Seagate it is nice and user-friendly and it will tell you if it has a bad sectors on the disk drive.

good luck, hope this might be helpful to you next time.
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds