Skip to main content

Network printing default preferences

More
14 years 7 months ago #32096 by beexo
Hi!
I have a network with Win2003R2 and XP clients. I have some network printers. And I have some OUs (Organizational Units).

The printers are on the active directory. That is, they are being shared on the Win2003R2 server.

What I want is to set the default printing preferences of a printer, so that any user on any machine will allways start with the same default printing preferences. He can change it if needed. But if he logs out, the next time he logs in, he should start with the predefined default printing preferences.

I need to control this from the server.

Initially I thought that setting the preferences on the server would do it. But it does not.

What's your thoughts on this?
More
14 years 7 months ago #32120 by KiLLaBeE
Probably not the most efficient method, but one way would be to create a logon script in VBScript that would check whether the printer is installed on the user's computer, and if it is to delete it and readd the printer. You can apply the logon script at the user level or the OU level. The script could get complex if you have "unique" situations where a user may have multiple printers. Just Google "map network printer vbscript."

I looked through group policy but doesn't appear that there's an option there for that. I also looked through the registry of a computer that installed the printer and it did have some keys referencing the preferences of the printer, but again, you'd have to use an automation method (GP or scripting) to import the registry settings on the clients each time they log back on.

Let us know what you find. Strange question but I can see where it would be applicable.
More
14 years 7 months ago #32261 by beexo
Took me some web surfing, but I was able to acomplish the task by using GP to deploy the printer to each user, instead of being the user to install the printer. Só, each time the user logs in, if the printer does not exit, it creates it, or if it does exist, it udates it. In either case the default preferences are applied.

Thank you all that replied.
Beexo
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds