Skip to main content

new windows 2003 network

More
14 years 10 months ago #30838 by coyle55
Hi - I'm just trying to set up a small network of around 10 users. i've got an 8mb adsl line connected to a netgear router(dhcp off) connected to an old cisco 3550 switch.
I've hopefully set up correctly a server with windows 2003 R2, I've made it a domain controller, setup dns, dhcp and wins and also made it a file server. Will the switch need a config? it seems to work ok without any config on it - also, before i start adding users and computers, is there anything else blatantly obvious to everyone that i should be doing and im not ?!
More
14 years 10 months ago #30841 by Kn1ght
Replied by Kn1ght on topic Re: new windows 2003 network
it sounds like if all of what you said is setup CORRECTLY you should be good to go. Is this server working as a router? have internet connection sharing going through it? Or are you using the router?

DNS is very important to connect to the domain, so verify you can ping the DC with it's name, or you won't be able to connect.

Thanks
More
14 years 8 months ago #31537 by factory909

it sounds like if all of what you said is setup CORRECTLY you should be good to go. Is this server working as a router? have internet connection sharing going through it? Or are you using the router?

DNS is very important to connect to the domain, so verify you can ping the DC with it's name, or you won't be able to connect.

yes active directory/a dc is very touchy when it comes to dns. i would like to know how it turned out coyle
More
14 years 8 months ago #31595 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: new windows 2003 network

Will the switch need a config? it seems to work ok without any config on it

Nop, as you said it should work. Switches are typically designed and meant to work just out of the box, no special config needed unless you want special needs or want to defy the defaults for some reason.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds