Skip to main content

vpn problem..

More
15 years 1 day ago #30284 by ramachandraraju
I'm trying to make a VPN connection from my Windows XP at branch office to my Windows 2003 server at my head office. Once in a blue moon I can actually connect. But most times it says "verifying username and password" for 30 or 40 seconds and then ends with an error 721. I don't understand why it doesn't connect most of the time but does connect occasionally.

We are using xp-sp2 and vista. we are implemented PPTP vpn.

Help me.

Thank u.
More
15 years 1 day ago #30287 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: vpn problem..
Could you tell me a little bit about the network hardware? What client are you using to connect.

For starters, check out this blog. The error code might be different, but the principles are the same.

www.lamnk.com/blog/vpn/cisco-vpn-client-...o-longer-responding/

After you provide some network topology details, we can go from there.

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
14 years 11 months ago #30303 by ramachandraraju
Replied by ramachandraraju on topic Re: vpn problem..
i am using windows vpn client.
More
14 years 11 months ago #30333 by KiLLaBeE
Replied by KiLLaBeE on topic Re: vpn problem..
I've read that this is caused by either your ISP, your router, usage of NAT on your router, your OS, or firewall ports on the corporate office blocking some ports that are using the PPTP VPN process. With all these variables, we definitely need a bit more information.

Are you the only one experiencing this?
How do you connect to the Internet?

Some of these can be easily isolated, whereas others can't.

RRAS does log detailed information in C:\Windows\tracing, and standard logging on C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles on the RRAS server itself or the RADIUS server (depending on your setup). Maybe the logs there can help.
More
14 years 11 months ago #30336 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: vpn problem..
KiLLaBeE is absolutely right, this issue can be caused by many variables but one in particular I'd like to add on is the ISP. Your ISP only guarantees you browsing capabilities. Your ISP does not have to allow FTP, VPN, Email ect... Unless you have a business connection, the fine print states only browsing is promised.

So, if your connection is intermittent your more than likely looking at an ISP issue. But I would still check your router, NAT settings ect as KiLLaBeE suggested.

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
14 years 11 months ago #30338 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: vpn problem..
Windows PPTP VPN makes use of TCP port 1723 and GRE tunnelling. You must ensure both routers have PPTP pass-through options enabled. If you've got Cisco routers on each end, then things are much more easy as you can terminate your PPTP VPN directly on them.

I'd also check any possible 'Firewall' features that might be enabled on your routers, as they tend to become a common problems in these situations.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds