Skip to main content

instaling software on multiple machines?

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #30187 by seki
Hi,
I don't have much experience so I ask for some advices. I need to install some software on about 100 machines running XP. They are all connected with each other through switches and all working in a workgroup(the IP addresses are obtained automatically from DHCP server). Is there some solution to install the software simultaneously on all machines and not to waste a weak installing it one by one?
More
15 years 2 weeks ago #30188 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic Remote Deployment of Software
Hi Seki,
Aren't there any servers on this network? You will need atleast one server via which you can remotely deploy not just softwares but all forms of hot fixes for the OS and softwares as well. Here's a typical deployment software that you can use from that server:

wpkg.org/

Check it out.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
15 years 2 weeks ago #30195 by seki
Thanks Arani, I'll check it..
More
15 years 2 weeks ago #30248 by KiLLaBeE
I'll definitely add wpkg to my list of apps to try! But like any solid solution though, it may require more time to implement. If you're not looking for that kind of dedication at this time, another suggestion is to look to automate the installation of the software on a single system (i.e.: using bat files or vbscripts), placing the installation files on a server share (or XP share), then going to every workstation and running the bat file or vbscript from from all the machines. Of course this will require you to go to every machine, but at least you won't be clicking Next, Next, Continue, etc, Finish on every single machine. You'll save more time than if you had to do the manual, unautomated install on every machine. Just keep in mind that if you place the install files on an XP share, you'll only be able to establish up to 10 sessions at a time (XP limitation)

Arani,
Do you currently use wpkg in your production environment?
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds