Skip to main content

Win Server 2008 DNS Failure... help

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #30183 by talk2sp
hey peeps how u all doing. my client had a customized windows 2008 server (if u can remember it's same client i posted a question about AD.....) i have installed and still configuring it but when i right click on my computer then properties i see that the windows is not activated. so i click activate now and it brings up an error with an error code 0x8007232B saying windows could not activate blah blah blah and blames it on DNS (DNS name does not exist).

So i called on his attention (he is an Israeli) and he then connected to their server at Israel then i saw some new interface under my network connections meant for Juniper. well i saw some dns and i tried again. it still did not work so this time i copied the DNS to that of the main network int i use to connect online and well still same way...

0 days until auto activation, there is a product id.

I have done ssome googling and still have not gotten anything tangible. most answers i saw said copy the license key on the sticker that came with your windows.. the problem is not the licensing i think it's with the activation.

Anyone experienced such of these please..

I am on site i am standing by for solution.

Gracias

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
15 years 2 weeks ago #30186 by KiLLaBeE
I've never looked deep into how Windows goes about activating itself, but my guess is that maybe it's designed to access a Microsoft server somewhere by the server's domain name, but if your DNS (on the server itself) is misconfigured, then the name resolution is failing, and the activation program is blaming DNS.

In case you haven't already tried this, go to the NIC's TCP/IP properties and set the DNS IP address to 4.2.2.2 (a public DNS server's IP address). Then make sure that you can resolve domain names using the NSLOOKUP tool. If you can, then try to activate again. If you're successful, go ahead and change the DNS IP address back to whatever it was.

This basically forces the server to send DNS name resolution queries to a known-working DNS server on the Internet, eliminating your server's DNS as the issue. But this will only work if you can resolve names successfully.
More
15 years 2 weeks ago #30190 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic thanks a million.....
KillaB3e thanks for replying to my post. when i did more googling i got redirected to a Microsoft post on the support page; they were saying something about KMS server setup. well still trying to get my way through.

Thanks any more ideas.. i lie in wait

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
More
15 years 2 weeks ago #30191 by Alans
We had same problem and fixed by just re-enter the product key again...
just like the link below
www.mydigitallife.info/2008/08/07/0x8007...ver-2003-activation/

always Face your Fears...
More
15 years 2 weeks ago #30193 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic its customized.....
hey Alans the win server 2008 was customized for the company.. well i have made contact with the HQ in Israel and complained about the activation thingy i think they'd just resend the key or something but man is some strange thingy...

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds