Skip to main content

how to access mail server with different ip range

More
15 years 2 months ago #29074 by themadscientist
Hi all i`m looking for a sollution.
Ive got a 3d department, a renderfarm, production office
and a linux box with 2 network cards so the 2 networks can still share files (192.168.0.251 and 192.168.1.251)

So what i want to do is separate the renderfarm and 3d department network from the production network. i`ve got a mailserver which also provides internet who`s ip is 192.168.0.2 and i want to change all the workstations to something like 192.168.1, and still be able to receive mail and have internet access.
if anyone has a solution .

Thanx in advance
More
15 years 2 months ago #29079 by sose
You can have three LAN cards on the box with three different private IPs for the different networks
More
15 years 2 months ago #29082 by Smurf
Just be sure you only set one default gateway as if you assign a default gateway to each interface you will get into problems.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
15 years 1 month ago #29550 by quinnyyy
Simplest way to do this is to relax the subnet, if your subnet mask was changed on literally everything on the network, DHCP, printers, servers, every static device. If you used the subnet 255.255.252.0 you could have the following IP address’s 10.10.0.X, 10.10.1.x, 10.10.2.x and 10.10.3.x, or in your case 192.ect, (not recommended!), all the addresses can then broadcast to each other from any range to any range. I’ve seen this is practice and it doesn’t make resolving an IP address noticeably slower on a network with over 400 nodes.

Then everything is basically connected, do some private testing and try this out.
More
15 years 1 month ago #29573 by Smurf

Simplest way to do this is to relax the subnet, if your subnet mask was changed on literally everything on the network, DHCP, printers, servers, every static device. If you used the subnet 255.255.252.0 you could have the following IP address’s 10.10.0.X, 10.10.1.x, 10.10.2.x and 10.10.3.x, or in your case 192.ect, (not recommended!), all the addresses can then broadcast to each other from any range to any range. I’ve seen this is practice and it doesn’t make resolving an IP address noticeably slower on a network with over 400 nodes.

Then everything is basically connected, do some private testing and try this out.

Good point, if you dont want to split out the broadcast domain between them all or control/restrict traffic then relaxing the subnet mask will provide what you want like quinnyyy said.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds