Skip to main content

Nesting Organizational Units

More
15 years 4 months ago #28809 by Stephanie
Has anyone nested OU's? If so do have you ran into any issues so far?

I am trying to clean up the AD and make computers and user objects easier to maneuver through. What I have done is create OUs that correspond to each physical location on the network. Within each "root" OU I have created OUs named Computers and Users. Does anyone see any problem with this set-up.?

I think this will be easier to apply specific GP's when necessary.

Thanks much,
Stephanie
More
15 years 4 months ago #28811 by TheBishop
We have OUs quadruple-nested here (location->users->customer->usertype) and it causes no problems
More
15 years 4 months ago #28813 by MartinCox
Nested OUs are fine.

I think the way you've approached it is perfect and exactly the way it's intended to be configured. I see a lot of admins creating really complex OU structures to reflect their businesses department structures when it's just not necessary.

Grouping users logically depending on what policies they require is definitely the way forward.

Martin
More
15 years 4 months ago #28821 by KiLLaBeE
Only problem I can think of is group policy application if you want certain policies to apply to some OUs but not all, but for only some users, etc. We use this strategy at work but don't use too many GPOS. We also quadruple-nested OUs :-)
More
15 years 3 months ago #28840 by TheBishop
Careful design is the key there; thinking it through in advance. And the other is allowing or disallowing inheritance as required
More
15 years 3 months ago #28902 by Stephanie
Thanks for the feedback. We are a smaller organization under 500 users, but spread out over 8 locations. We are slowly bringing the other locations into the "collective" or a least that's how the sites view this change.

I don't want the design to get complicated. I just want to keep it clean and logical. We don't use a lot of specific GP's, but it will be nice to have the flexibility to apply GP's to each location as their needs dictate.

Thanks again for all the good info!
Stephanie
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds