Skip to main content

mstsc /console

More
15 years 5 months ago #28020 by TheBishop
mstsc /console was created by TheBishop
I've noticed on a few occasions that typing the above into a command prompt doesn't start a remote desktop session that links to the console of the remote server; it connects instead to one of the other sessions. Anybody seen this behaviour and know why it does this? My environment is XP workstation to 2003 server.
More
15 years 5 months ago #28021 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: mstsc /console
Call off the dogs; I've nailed it.
When you install SP3 onto an XP machine it upgrades the RDP client to version 6.1. Which, for some inexplicable and perverse reason, replaces the /console option with /admin.
Thank you, Mr Gates for that added level of confusion.
So, to summarise, use mstsc /console from anywhere except a PC running XP SP3 when it's mstsc /admin.
Understand? Good. Wish I did...
More
15 years 5 months ago #28032 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: mstsc /console
May be folks at Micro$oft are still under the pathetic impression that "change" (what evvvver you do) is always for the better. Or is it just a desperate effort to make the "new features" list look longer. I assume here that "change" had nothing to do with the results of the recent US elections.

Sorry, just chaotic thoughts. Thanks for the hint any way :)

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 5 months ago #28036 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: mstsc /console
And the stupid thing about it is that even though they've changed the command, the old command is still accepted but doesn't do the buisness. You'd expect that mstsc /console would now generate an error message and refuse to work, alerting you to the problem - but no; it accepts it without comment but doesn't give you a console session. Arrrgh!
More
13 years 4 months ago #35868 by lewisphelan
Replied by lewisphelan on topic Re: mstsc /console
run/mstsc
then enter your ip address
More
13 years 4 months ago #35877 by Bublitz
Replied by Bublitz on topic Re: mstsc /console
Nice post. I had no idea they did this to the /console switch. *shakes fist*

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Hospice of the Red River Valley