Skip to main content

how to set up dns server

More
15 years 5 months ago #28007 by terryboob
plz im doing a research on how to configure system to explain how to set up a dns server. i did a lot fo reaserch but not a good explanations on this .do u have any ideas?
obviously i have a 50 NT workstations and 150 vista wokstations and dhcp and win server environments and
More
15 years 5 months ago #28008 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: how to set up dns server
Here is a very good reference that will give you the run down on Microsoft DNS. If you really want to learn DNS and master it, I highly suggest picking up a book on DNS.

Source: technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc723556.aspx

Hope that gets you started.

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
15 years 5 months ago #28188 by dentys
Replied by dentys on topic or you can try bind
or you can try bind for windows

www.isc.org/downloadables/11

i have it on an xp for 3 days now.
it sopped by itself 2 times...gives an eror something about disabling edns,,,but it was relativelly easy to set up, it was FREE, and it's working fine.(i set it to restart itself if it runs into problems:P)
More
15 years 1 month ago #29554 by quinnyyy
Setup DNS server

Go to add/remove programs and add windows components, add a DNS server (server OS cd required)

Install the DNS server, statically point your server to look at itself for DNS. Then force the new DNS address via DHCP, you should replace the ISP DNS entry in DHCP if found with the server address, having domain PCs pointing at external DNS servers causes all kinds of problems, on your dns server management console you right click, properties, then fowarders,, you add your ISP DNS entry at this level.

Next time DNS try’s to resolve a name to an IP address, for instance google, the IP address will be locally cached on site making name resolution much quicker.
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds