Skip to main content

How to establish a connection between 2 PC over internet

More
15 years 6 months ago #27886 by chitti
Hi,

I’m trying to establish a connection with my friend’s laptop over internet, I’m able to connect his modem (router) but I cannot connect to his laptop to copy files. So guys please guide me.

Many Thanks,
Raj
More
15 years 6 months ago #27887 by S0lo
If he is behind NAT (and probably he is), you need to configure port forwarding on his router. For example, if you were trying to connect via windows Remote Desktop, you need to configure port forwarding for port 3389. This will tell his router to direct any requests coming on port 3389 to your friends PC internal IP. By the way, on some routers GUI this is called "Application Server" instead of "Port Forwarding".

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 6 months ago #27893 by sose
Also there are softwares you can download and install on both system which will make you see each others desktops and can even interact with your mice on one desktop

Talk2sp once gave me the software I think he can recommend one for you .
More
15 years 6 months ago #27963 by chitti
How to configure port forwarding on the router and port 3389 ???

also what is the software name and could you plz give me the link to download the software.

Many thanks,
Raj
More
15 years 6 months ago #27964 by S0lo

How to configure port forwarding on the router and port 3389 ???

That depends on your friend's router features and interface. Browse through the web interface of the router, Can you see any thing related to "Port Forwarding" or a feature called "Application Server". They are both the same. Try to configure it from there. If any problems, don't hesitate to ask :)

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
  • gagamboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 5 months ago #28026 by gagamboy
for software: you can try TeamViewer, it is a great tool and easy to use.

It is availble for free:

www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

Cheers!
Gagamboy
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds