Skip to main content

Problem Connecting to Internetnet but Not Router

More
15 years 6 months ago #27577 by Maskkkk
Hello all,

My father's computer an old Sony Vaio (Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM 1.6 GHz) running Windows XP, recently had service pack 3 installed on it.

After SP3 was installed, I noticed that the wireless card could connect to the router including the web-based GUI (pfSense), but could not connect any website outside our of our lan.

I've tried manually assigning a DNS to the machine; installing updated versions of the drivers, and I still can't access anything outside of our internal lan.

The other machines on the network work fine.

Recently I've also installed a brand-new network card when I installed the new card I also noted that the machine was really, really dusty. I also attempted to install the new drivers for the new card, but discovered that they are the same version that shipped with the card.

Do you have any ideas what the problem might be?

Thank you,
Maskkkk

[img]http://home.pct.edu/~leeand00/Hole in the Ozone Layer.gif[/img]

- A Man is not an island...that's why we have fourms!
More
15 years 6 months ago #27580 by Lav_plsb
1. Please ensure that router has the latest firmware installed. Some routers have required firmware updates to work with SP3.
2. There is a known problem if a Norton product is on the PC while SP3 was being installed. Norton blocks normal access to the Windows Registry by the SP3 updater. The bad effects of this can include loss of wireless access. You can recover from the effects of this by downloading hotfix support.microsoft.com/kb/953979 and following the instructions on that page to boot into Safe Mode and run fixccs.exe (as delivered by the hotfix). You can safely run this hotfix even if the Norton effect was not there.

Thanks,
More
15 years 6 months ago #27586 by sose
what are your ping result like, pinging the DNS server or pinging functional websites can give valuable info. Because ping could go through while your browser will refuse to connect.

As the first responder said something is probably blocking the connection, try disabling firewall,antivirus etc or even using another browser. IE and firefox all are now in SP3

note: everything you do is at your own risk, when daddy comes back I will be happy if you dont mention my name incase anything goes wrong.

Mr. sose
is my name
More
15 years 6 months ago #27631 by Jimmy
Hi Maskkk,

hw u doin? Well try to uninstall Sp 3 from your PC and if you reply want SP 3 on your machine try to install in Safe mode. On the personal note I really do like SP 2 stuff.. Not even IE 8 and 7 browers. Both browsers versions drive my PC like piece of Shit.

Cheers
Jimmy
More
15 years 6 months ago #27741 by FungiBunch
hi Maskk,
Check the following article from Microsft website.. it would help you a lot.. SP3 changes the Wireless Zero Configuration service in XP to match the Encryption of Windows Vista.. so you might need to check the encryption protocol settings on your router page...

support.microsoft.com/kb/953650
More
15 years 6 months ago #27742 by seanjuan
Hi Maskkkk,

Try using your ethernet connection instead of your wireless card to determin if your results differ. Check the Ip configuration of your network cards and if your router is setup for dhcp set them to automatically obtain a ip address.
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds