Skip to main content

DHCP server for a multi segment network

More
16 years 1 month ago #25567 by allanigue03
Hello Networking Gurus,

Can you please help me on how to install a DHCP server on a multi segment environment?

Scenario:
One Center Switch (Inter-Segment Routing), each interface of the center switch is set to be the gateway of each segment.
A Server switch is connected to the Center Switch. (DHCP server is connected to the Server Switch)
A Distribution Switch is connected to each interface of the Center Switch
On the Distribution Switch there are Edge Switch Connected.

All desktop and other devices connect to the Edge Switch.

Please help me on how to setup the Center Switch to forward the DHCP request to the DHCP Server, and also on how to setup the DHCP Server to distribute the correct IP on segment where the desktop connect.

* All are cisco based switch
More
16 years 1 month ago #25596 by skepticals
Is the DHCP server one of the Cisco devices or an actual computer server? If it is a computer server look into the ip-helper command to forward the DHCP broadcast to the server.
More
16 years 4 weeks ago #25603 by saidfrh
I have been told that you can configure a Windows server to provided different DHCP IP scopes.
More
16 years 3 weeks ago #25620 by skepticals
You can. I believe all you do is setup the different scope ranges and the workstation will be given the proper IP depending on which VLAN it is in.
More
16 years 3 weeks ago #25621 by Chojin
Yes, as said before.. make sure the ip-helper is configured and pointing towards the DHCP for forwarding DHCP requests.

The Router will determine which ip the client is requesting (VLAN's indeed) and based on that the client will receive a proper ip address.

Not really hard to configure, just play a bit and it will be working before you can say "Cheese" :)

CCNA / CCNP / CCNA - Security / CCIP / Prince2 / Checkpoint CCSA
More
16 years 3 weeks ago #25632 by Smurf
Hmm, the only way i can see this working is if the router sends a directed unicast traffic to the DHCP server. This must be then somehow being shown on the DHCP server as coming from that subnet so the correct dhcp zone can be used in the dhcp reply.

Cannot be bothered to actually read the dhcp server bit, too tired tonight, lol.

Anyhow, this is quite a good explination of the ip-helper command :)

Wayne

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds