Skip to main content

Window Group policy objects

More
20 years 3 months ago #2378 by thorpe
I am having a problem with Group policies I need to know how the gpo's are applied to a user.

The problem is as follows

I have an win 2000 Active directory.
I have created 2 groups called

gBasic
gAdv

I have created a user called

usrSmith

I addedd usrSmith to both groups, gBasic and gAdv.
I next created 3 GPO's called

gpoLocalSet
gpoBasicSet
gpoAdvanceSet

In LocalSet I set the restricted goups policy to set the group gAdv as a local administrator of the machine that usrSmith logs onto. The security settings apply this GPO to any authenticated user.
This is first in the list of GPO's

in the gpoAdvanceSetI set the IE Homepage URL to www.msn.com
the security settings apply this GPO to the group gAdv
This is second in the GPO list

in the gpoBasicSet I set the IE Homepage URL to www.hotmail.com
The security settings apply this GPO to the group gBasic
This is third in the GPO list

When usrSmith logs on to the Active directory domain the gpoLocal applies correctly and when I run IE the home page is set as www.msn.com from the policy gpoAdvanceSet

If I change the order of the gpoAdvancedSet (position 3 in list) and gpoBasicSet (position 2 in list) the home page will always stay as the www.msn.com url from gpoAdvanceSet

Question 1
How can I get the gpoBasicSet to apply to the usrSmith even if he is in both user-groups, I thought by changing the poistion of the GPO the one higher in the list would apply first but it does not.

Question 2
Does anyone know any links that explain how GPO's are applied to user when they log on.

thanks
More
20 years 3 months ago #2470 by Chris
Thorpe,

Group policies cant be very complex depending on the way your network is setup. I've found myself scratching my head for hours when trying to figure out what on earth is happening.

Your best bet is to consult the support pages of microsoft and search for related articles that explain how group policies work in different Active Directory environments.

The page is support.microsoft.com

Good luck !

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 3 months ago #2472 by senior
"Users and Computers are the only types of Active Directory objects that receive policy. Specifically, security groups do not have policy applied to them. Instead, for performance reasons, security groups are used to filter the policy by way of an Apply Group Policy access control entry (ACE), which can be set to Allow or Deny, or left unconfigured."

From the microsoft support site. I think this is what you're looking for.
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds