Skip to main content

secure FTP server

More
16 years 6 months ago #23712 by saidfrh
secure FTP server was created by saidfrh
Hi,
I am assigned to build a secure FTP server on a Windows platform. I am looking to build Self-signed SSL certificates on the cheap, without requiring a Certficate Authority. Is there a 'how to guide' for the above?
I am greateful for any information you can provide.
Thanks.

Said
More
16 years 6 months ago #23762 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: secure FTP server
Since you're working on Windows, the self-certification tools included with IIS should do the job. See the following link which uses IIS 6.
More
16 years 6 months ago #23765 by saidfrh
Replied by saidfrh on topic Re: secure FTP server
Cool. Thank you.
More
16 years 6 months ago #23766 by saidfrh
Replied by saidfrh on topic Re: secure FTP server
This secure FTP server will be on the "DMZ" with a public IP. The object is to provide secure communications between clients accessing the FTP server and the FTP server. Clients accesing the FTP files are company employees and outside vendors. Should this FTP server sitting outside of the company LAN have an Active Directory of its own? If not The following needs to be selected. Could you provide advise.

Windows Component Wizard, provides two options
1. Stand-alone CA
or
2. Stand-alone subordinate CA

"To install an enterprise CA, Active Directory is required: you must also be a member of the Enterprise Admins group.

check box? "Use custom setting to generate the key pair and CA certificate"

Thanks.
More
16 years 6 months ago #23773 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: secure FTP server
The following link gives the pros and cons on taking the stand-alone or enterprise route. There will be advantages of going down the enterprise CA route as it means that the CA will be added to the list of trusted CAs for all domain users. However, as you will be having outside vendors this will not apply to them unless you may them domain users as well.
More
16 years 6 months ago #23783 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: secure FTP server
nnbnbI'm using zFTP server

www.zftpserver.com/

It's freeware. Supports SSL encryption up to 256 bits AES. You can configure it remotely or on the same PC.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds