Skip to main content

Windows Brothers Denied Access

More
20 years 3 months ago #2166 by lanre
A simplest form of computer network (just 3 systems)u can ever imagine but with a fundamental problem; a laptop with winXp, desktop with Win98 and another desktop with win2k, but no one can access my win2k despite all sharing protocol duely observed.

pls what could be responsible.
i've reformatted the win2k system more than twice.
More
20 years 3 months ago #2167 by sahirh
Could you be a little more specific, what is the error you recieve when you try to connect to the file shares ?

Is all the other networking working ? Has the system got an ip address and can you ping all the systems ?

Then make sure File and Printer sharing is installed and that you've shared some folders..

if the networking is up, and F&P is installed, and you've shared a folder.. it should work.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 3 months ago #2172 by Neon
Speaking of file and printer sharing I had a really bad problem that just had to happen a certain day:

When I tried to list the shared folders on a windows XP (Sure it would work on a 2k machine as well) computer it kept on saying I didn’t have permissions to list what shares the computer was sharing (I could connect to them directly i.e. \\192.168.0.1\Share) but if I just navigated to \\192.168.0.1\ it would have a error message saying about privileges, I finally found the solution to which was to type in cmd prompt NET START WORKSTATION...

Worked straight away after that.

....Weird
More
20 years 3 months ago #2174 by sahirh
Naughty boy, why did you have the workstation service disabled ;)

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds