Skip to main content

SSH and window 2003 question

More
17 years 23 hours ago #21571 by psiclonius
Hey Everyone,

First off I am SSH challenged, but I have a client that would like access to an application in our network via SSH (local office just uses telnet) . What do I need to do on the server to allow SSH connection to a program?
More
17 years 23 hours ago #21572 by Smurf
Dont understand the question ?

You have an application on the network that uses SSH ?
You have a client that needs to access the application using SSH ?
Why do you need to do anything to a server ?

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 23 hours ago #21573 by psiclonius
Sorry,

We are setting up a site to site VPN with the client to connect to DB application. Normally we connect via telnet, but the client would like to access the application via SSH (instead of telnet). I was assuming that I would have add additional server software to permit SSH connections to work.
More
17 years 21 hours ago #21575 by Smurf
Appologies if i am still not fully understanding your question. This is what i think you mean...

You have an application that currently uses Telnet to access and you would like to use SSH ?

If that is the case, then the application will need to support SSH in order to allow users to access it via SSH. This is the case for example with some older Cisco Switches and Routers. They may only support telnet. If the application is built with the capabilities of SSH access then you need to look at ways of securing the telnet traffic, as you said this is generally done using VPN Tunnels or just IPSec depending on where you are communicating and how much of the communications you want securing.

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds