Skip to main content

Performance Monitor for windows 2000

More
20 years 4 months ago #2075 by Kn1ght
I am having some problems understanding the different Counters and what they actually monitor. I have the "explain" printed out and I'm just not up to speed on what each of these do.
(example dpc time, upc interrupts/sec)

Coule someone explain these to me a little clearer? Or direct me to a site that I could understand better? (or even better yet a place on THIS site that talks about it)

Thanks
More
20 years 4 months ago #2076 by sahirh
I've found explanations for a few of the counters.. some are downright strange though :)

www.windows.ethz.ch/ntconcepts/ performance/NT-performance.htm

and from the horses mouth :
www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/...ningacceptablevalues

For easier system monitoring, you might want to take a look at my post about GkrellM in the cool software forum. Here's a direct link
www.firewall.cx/modules.php?name=Forums&...=viewtopic&t=429

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 4 months ago #2082 by Kn1ght
Thanks, man that is good, but still that is about all the information I have in my book. Do you know what they mean in stupid people terms? When the DPC is too high for the CPU, or how high should the interrupts in a second be? I'm just confused and can't find anywhere that talks about what these things are that they monitor. I know they montior these things but I want to know more about what it is they monitor, if something it too high, what does it do and how do you fix it. What is normal? Some of that info is in where you said, but I'm a moron....

Thanks You guys are so awesome

Kn1ght as always the confused.
:oops:

Thanks
More
20 years 4 months ago #2084 by sahirh
Hehe knight, I won't lie.. I have no idea what most of the CPU counters are about.. I figure you'd have to have some knowledge of the architecture for that.

I have a really nice RedHat Press book called 'RedHat Linux Security and Optimization' which deals with a bungload of performance variables that you can monitor.. I'm still trying to plough through those.. I'm sure you'll find a similar book for Windows, check out the system administration books, they usually have something. Or ask an NT administrator.. somehow they always seem to know these things lol ;)

P'raps tfs or Chris will know a bit more..

Anyway if you do figure them out you could do a nice little post and Chris will give you access to the super-secret hidden firewall.cx extra avatars section.

:roll: or something like that .....

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 4 months ago #2086 by tfs
Not sure, myself.

I mainly used to use the counters for SQL Server - and those were confusing, also.

Thanks,

Tom
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds