Skip to main content

FILE recovery...help plz

More
17 years 1 month ago #20456 by wannafly172
I have an external drive that when i formatted the internal drive with linux it somehow formatted the external with a RAW file system. im lost and when i tried to use windows to format and put a file system on it so i could run recovermyfiles and save it... this is very very importaint so any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Buddha says, "Know your forms of linux: Mandrake, SUSE, Linspire, Xandros, Lycoris, MEPIS, Fedora Core, and Ubuntu""

It is my job to corrupt young people with the contageous, infectious idea of individual freedom
More
17 years 1 month ago #20461 by KiLLaBeE
Maybe it did not format it with the RAW file system, and I'll explain why.

A while ago I had two hard drives on a computer, one hard drive I used for backup, and the other one had the OS. When I was ready to upgrade the computer to WinXP, I unplugged the backup hard drive, upgraded, then plugged the backup hard drive back in. When I went to access it, it said it was not accessible and it had a RAW file system. Maybe it was just the way the OS was communicating with the hard drive, and since it was from a previous OS version, the OS didn't know what the heck the data/organization was on the second hard drive, so it couldn't address it, (just a theory).....well, what I did was run a data recovery software, and the files were successfully retrieved quickly and in good condition. Apparently, the data was still in tact, just the OS had no idea what it was, how to interact wit hit (again, just a theory). It took me a while to find a good recovery program, though, but the one I use, I continue to use, and it provides various options for how you want to recover the data (i.e: recover data when the hard drive contains no partition information, recover when in RAW format, etc)....the name of the program i use is Easy Recovery Pro

If the format did somehow someway format the external hard drive, then DONT format it again, you may make it more difficult to recover the data. Simply find a good data recovery software and run that. I'd start in Download.com and run a query for "data recovery"

Interesting article what is possible and what isn't possible with data recovery: www.runtime.org/recoverability.htm

K
More
17 years 1 month ago #20473 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: FILE recovery...help plz
try booting off a live cd like knoppix, if a linux distro formatted the drive, then it should be possible to read it through there. however, if the drive was actually formatted, you won't see any data. Then try the data recovery tools

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #20648 by SmartDude
I also prefer using GETDATABACK....
This is the best i got..

Share the Knowledge, make a master being a Master...
Best Regards,
SmartDude
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #20727 by wemaole
Hello,

there are many data recovery software can hlep you

please see: mixiroo.com/datarecovery/
More
17 years 1 week ago #21133 by Discrete
There is one more option you can try to recover your data from formated drive. Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS data recovery software . It is a file & partition recovery utility that helps you in recovering your all important data lost after accidental format, virus problems, software malfunction, file/directory deletion.
To try the software download the demo of this partition recovery utility.
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds