Skip to main content

Folder Re-direction

More
17 years 2 months ago #19948 by NewandImprovedElvis
Hello

A (Hopefully) quick query, is there any way to map a folder on one drive (E) so that it appears as a folder on another drive (C)

For several reasons, including space I cant host this program on the C drive, but it is (rather poorly) written to expect it will be in a specific path (C:\....)

I know how to make a folder appear as a logical drive, and how to make a drive appear as a logical folder. but not a folder appear as another folder.

any help appreciated
More
17 years 2 months ago #19949 by Rockape
Replied by Rockape on topic Re: Folder Re-direction
About time you got here :D

For everyone else, I've been telling this guy about this site for ages, and he has finally found his way here.

I'm sure this can be done in XP, I've had a quick chat with the Bishop and we both think it can be done. I'll have a little explore and get back to you, unless someone else beats me :wink:
More
17 years 2 months ago #19950 by Rockape
Is it not possible simply to move the folder from the C to the E drive? or you could think about sharing the file.

In addition, the following articles "may" help

support.microsoft.com/kb/830254
www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/wi...t/c06621675.mspx#ENC
More
17 years 2 months ago #19951 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: Folder Re-direction
I vaguely remeber from my XP course that this can be done, and it's something to do with adding space in the Disk Administrator. You can add more space/another disk in several ways, and one of them was to have it accessed as a mount point from within an existing file system. Can anybody remember the full details?
More
17 years 2 months ago #19953 by Rockape
Got it, I think :wink:

Have a look at this:

www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/wi...atfunc/bestperf.mspx

You are looking for "volume mount points"
More
17 years 2 months ago #19954 by NewandImprovedElvis
Got it

That link pointed me in the right Direction, Volume mount points are only useful for mounting whole drives, however just above that it mentions Directory Junctions.

Directory Junctions are exactly what I was after, in that they map one physical directory onto another logical location. The program for this is linkd.exe in the Server 2003 Resource kit.

Thank you for your help with this guys

Now to see if it works as I intended...
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds