Skip to main content

Help: Windows doesn't boot one minute, boots fine the next.

More
17 years 2 months ago #19743 by mikeg299

Glad you have identified the issue. I have not actually got to a resolution with my issue just yet. My issues were added to when i added an extra Hard Drive, the power requirements for that just caused major issues in that the Master Hard Drive then stopped working which cause an issue that no OS was there.

I tried a new PSU to try and compensate for this, the original PSU in the HP was only 250Watt so i plugged in a 450Watt thinking this would resolve the issue of the hard drive atleast, it didn't. I contacted HP who then advised me on the BIOS update, i have not had chance to call back to my mates to try it (he still has his CDRom unplugged to get around the hard drive issue, his writer is still plugged in).

I am due to call tomorrow and try the BIOS, if that works i will probably still leave the 450Watt PSU in as i think this will resolve the problem.

My advise would be to try a BIOS update first and see if this resolve this particular problem, if not then just see what Watt the PSU is and maybe try a bigger one.

Cheers

I'm going over to my buddies house today. I'll have in hand with me: power supply tester, USB cord, and a bios update.

Wish me luck!
More
17 years 2 months ago #19751 by Smurf
Please let us know how you get on :)

And good luck

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 2 months ago #19777 by mikeg299

Please let us know how you get on :)

And good luck

Smurf,

So I was successful in my quest today. I had in hand with me upon showing up: spare power supply, new USB cable, power supply tester, and a bios update.

Fixed it on the first try by simply updating the bios.

Updated the bios and rebooted to verify new correct bios version. Then plugged in the HP All in one and the computer booted up just fine without a blank screen and a cursor. Walked away with my spare power supply and new USB cable in hand.

I still find it hard to believe that a new bios version could have fixed the issue since the printer worked just fine in the past. I also checked that there were no recent windows or hardware updates when the problem occurred. Nothing.

Let me know how yours goes. I'm anxious to hear. Good Luck!
More
17 years 2 months ago #19782 by TheBishop
What an obscure problem! Glad you got it sorted
More
17 years 2 months ago #19783 by Smurf
Fantastic news, same here, the BIOS update fixed my issue also. Unfortunatley i had already replaced the PSU but luckily my mate told me to just leave it in the machine (his original one was only 250Watt which i didn't even know they did as its tiny). It only cost him £13 for the PSU so he was happy enough.

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 2 months ago #19876 by Kn1ght
Replied by Kn1ght on topic fixed!
Mike is a RL buddy and tech of mine. With your help we were able to find it was a bios update (why it just started right now when they have had the printer plugged into it we don't know) but thank you all very much.

Thanks
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds