Skip to main content

Migrating a zone from Linux to Windows

More
17 years 4 months ago #19406 by orild_eiren
pls help me!!! is it possible to transfer a zone file from linux to windows? how?
More
17 years 4 months ago #19411 by nske
Linux is not an out-of the box operating system with only one supported application for each purpose, like windows. There are numerous of software applications that can be used for serving DNS information in linux, each one of which using a different configuration scheme.

Since BIND is arguably the most popular and mature of these, I assume you want to migrate one or more BIND zones to Windows DNS server, is that right?

Microsoft has an article about this here , I hope it helps.

cheers

PS. Like Smurf already asked, please try to provide as much information as possible describing your task and status. If you don't take the time to be specific both in your post and it's subject, don't expect many people to take the time and try to guess what you want to do ;)
More
17 years 3 months ago #19882 by Joe_Mama
I have a similar problem. I have two Linux DNS servers. One of them is failing. I have a Windows 2003 Server being used as a Domain Controller (there are 2 DC's on the network in all) and a print server (only one printer so far-this will change). I would like to use this Windows 2003 DC as another DNS server for backup. The problem is that the other two DNS servers are Linux. I am an MCSA, but I don't know a thing about Linux (I believe these servers use Suse). Could somebody help steer me in the right direction? From what I have read, you cannot Turn a DC into a DNS unless you first demote it, then promote it back to a DC. We cannot do that because everybody depends on this server to print to the new printer. So if we take it down, it cannot be down for long.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds