Skip to main content

ping prob!

More
20 years 4 months ago #1918 by ToyMaker
ping prob! was created by ToyMaker
hi! we share a lan hub based, and all are winxp. now, one of my friend here same xp and share the hub. but i cant ping him, says request timed out. but he can ping me.he is not using any third soft, no firewall. other things are ok like sharing, netbios. appreciate if u could tell me a reason for that. its silly! i don know how is it possible.

another is! can i block incoming icmp with ipsec but outgoing will be without any condition.
More
20 years 4 months ago #1925 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: ping prob!
what you're saying is that all the machines are connected using a hub, and you can't ping him but you can ping him ?

There is no firewall in the middle (not even ZoneAlarm) ?

Check your TCP/IP stack. Do this from your machine

1. Ping 127.0.0.1
2. Ping your own IP address
3. Ping your friends address

You might consider firing up a packet sniffer and seeing what happens to the ping packets. Start the sniffer and then start the ping. It sounds like a really wierd problem.

IPSEC has nothing to do with blocking types of packets, IPSEC provides encryption for IP. If you're talking about blocking incoming ICMP but allowing outbound ICMP, then you should use a personal firewall and create a rule for this.

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 4 months ago #1957 by ToyMaker
Replied by ToyMaker on topic Re: ping prob!
we installed a new copy of winxp and after that i m able to ping him! but i cant understand why would somthing like that happen, that i cant ping him but he can. is it possible to happen for any specific reason!! anyway thank you for reply.
More
20 years 4 months ago #1958 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: ping prob!
Since you say it started working after you reinstalled XP, it most likely means that the TCP/IP protocol wasn't properly installed. In other words the TCP/IP stack was broken. When you reinstalled, the problem got fixed.

Networking can be so vague sometimes.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 4 months ago #1983 by Dabogimp
Replied by Dabogimp on topic Re: ping prob!
i have seen this type of thing happen.

it only happened once on my friends "not-so legit" copy of winxp

and when he reinstalled with a diff cd key it worked

(btw i am in no way saying non legit copys of programs are good)

I am so LEET guys dont listen to anyone else
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds