Skip to main content

Mute the volume during logoff - Windows XP

More
17 years 5 months ago #18466 by sujo
Thanks DaLight and S0lo.
Bishop you know how to manipulate them via Group Policy or by creating a script?

Can you please tell me how to do?
More
17 years 5 months ago #18467 by Smurf
nnbnbHi Sujo,

There are several ways you can achieve this. Probably the best way is to see if you can do this in group policy, there is a bit in group policy where you can make registry changes which will make things much neater. Take a look at this, you can make your own ADM files that you can import into group policies www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/wi...ement/gp/admtgp.mspx

Other ways include writing scripts which can be done using Perl as per TheBishops post and windows scripting. Another method would be a simple reg file that will make a registry change if you put it into a login script that runs when the user logs in (or if you ran it during the GPO) ?

A sample of a reg file we used to use for Internet Explorer changes is as follows, you can modify the way it works to meet the specific registry requirement you are after with the exit sound.

IE.REG

[code:1]REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Start Page"="http://www.firewall.cx/"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"ProxyEnable"=dword:00000001"
"ProxyOveride"="10.*"
"Proxyserver"="172.16.1.254:80;"[/code:1]

Once you have created the file to make the registry changes, you then simply call the registry file in a batch file.

e.g.

[code:1]REGEDIT /S ie.reg[/code:1]

The /s tells it to run it silently without a user prompt to say "import in registry.......Yes/No"

Hope it helps

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 5 months ago #18472 by TheBishop
Smurf's answered the question. If I were you I'd go for the .reg file method as it's quicker and easier to achieve a result although not as elegant or flexible as a script
More
17 years 4 months ago #19119 by DonMilano
nnbnbIn other way to a suggested script you can push this registry changes at logoff with help of Desktop Authority ( www.scriptlogic.com ) . We use this tool for our desktops management. You should also have a look at this utility. Further to making registry changes you will be able to perform a lot of things on remote desktops such as mapping drives or printers, creating shortcuts, deploy software and many more. I want to mention very useful feature of this tool - Validation logic. It's much more granular than common GP and allows you to selectively apply settings only to particular users or groups.
More
17 years 4 months ago #19120 by Smurf

I want to mention very useful feature of this tool - Validation logic. It's much more granular than common GP and allows you to selectively apply settings only to particular users or groups.

You can acheive that through the Windows GPO anyway, which is free :)

That said, there does look like there are some interesting tools on there, worth bookmarking the page for future reference :)

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds